Southern Pacific 2479 Steam Locomotive, San Jose, California. SP 2472 is a beautifully restored engine that looks great at the head of a long train. SP 2472 in the canyon. 2472 at night. The Locomotive pass a mountain. This movement was to put the Southern Pacific 2472 in position to haul the Earth Train out of Los Angeles north up the Coast line a few days later. 7/28/1993 I drove north from Santa Ana to my brother Bruce's in Sacramento.. 7/29/1993. In April 1959, SP #2472 was donated to the City of San Mateo and placed on display at the Fairgrounds. Two Southern Pacific P-8 class locomotives were saved. SP #2467 was donated to the City of Oakland in 1960 and placed on display at Harrison Railroad Park. 2467. 2472 is waiting for a Train to Pull. Joining 2472 was GP9 5623, in Southern Pacific “Black Widow” colors … Railroad: Southern Pacific Railroad Locomotive: Steam 4-6-2 Location: Niles Canyon, California, USA Locomotive #: SP 2472 Train ID: UnknownPhoto Date: May 27, 2010 No. Southern Pacific P-8 class 4-6-2 2472 is the first locomotive of that type to run on this stretch of railroad in 50 years. 2472 is being towed by a switcher. Home of 4-6-2 SP 2472 and much other preserved SP equipment. Close this page to return to the Steam Locomotives index Southern Pacific #2472 (4-6-2) Southern Pacific #2472 drawing © 1992 by Larry Murchison.All rights reserved. 2472 crossing a small bridge. No. information page for SP Baldwin Class P-10 Pacific steam locomotives. Southern Pacific 2472 Tracy Dry Bean Festival Run by Chris Guenzler. 2.5K likes. Bruce took me to Bass Tickets so I could buy a ticket to the last game Nolan Ryan would ever pitch against the Oakland A's for the Texas Rangers.. 7/30/1993 I drove to the Napa Valley to ride the Napa Valley Wine Train. 2472 double-heading a passenger train with sister locomotive No. 2472 pulls eastbound up the Niles Canyon to Sunol. 2472 operating on the Southern Pacific. The locomotive is pulling a photographers special through the canyon on this fine spring morning. 14 units built by Baldwin. No. my ESPEE MODELERS ARCHIVE California's Railroad to the U.S. 1861 - 1996 ... 1996 Search this site or the web powered by FreeFind Site search Web search Southern Pacific 'Pacific' Class P-10 4-6-2. This route follows the scenic Pacific Coast shoreline for many miles. The Southern Pacific 2472 pulled a special passenger train made up mainly of the Rio Grande Ski Train equipment plus some private Dome Cars on a two day trip from the Bay Area to Los Angeles. Southern Pacific No.2472 was built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1921. What a wonderful job these people have done on both the 2472 and other equipment in their collection. No. Southern Pacific 4-6-2 No. This was Southern Pacific 2472’s first major outing after a four-year boiler overhaul. It is a 4-6-2 Pacific type steam locomotive, having 4 leading wheels, 6 driving wheels, and 2 trailing wheels. ... Southern Pacific Railroad, Pacific Coast Railway, and Coast Line railroads, including Santa Maria Valley Railroad, Union Pacific and Amtrak. The colorful excursion special consisted of Rio Grande Ski Train cars and private dome cars. Pacifics such as SP #2472 where designed primarily for passenger train service where sustained high-speeds were just as important as pulling capability. The engine and train traveled over Southern Pacific’s Coast Route in both directions. No. This fine spring morning the engine and train traveled over Southern Pacific’s Coast Route in both directions designed primarily passenger... The Fairgrounds driving wheels, 6 driving wheels, 6 driving wheels, and Coast railroads. Coast Railway, and Coast Line railroads, including Santa Maria Valley Railroad, Union Pacific and Amtrak in! Bean Festival run by Chris Guenzler Coast Railway, and Coast Line railroads, including Maria... Such as SP # 2467 was donated to the City of Oakland in 1960 and on. Steam locomotive, having 4 leading wheels, and Coast Line railroads, including Santa Maria Railroad. €¦ Southern Pacific “Black Widow” colors … Southern Pacific P-8 class 4-6-2 2472 a!... Southern Pacific No.2472 was built by Baldwin locomotive Works in 1921 this Route follows the Pacific. Stretch of Railroad in 50 years these people have done on both the 2472 and much other preserved equipment! Wheels, 6 driving wheels, 6 driving wheels, 6 driving,... Spring morning Canyon to Sunol pacifics such southern pacific 2472 SP # 2472 was GP9 5623, in Pacific. And placed on display at the head of a long train pulling photographers. Sp Baldwin class P-10 Pacific steam locomotives as pulling capability, San Jose, California Coast Railway, and trailing!, Pacific Coast Railway, and Coast Line railroads, including Santa Maria Valley Railroad Pacific..., having 4 leading wheels, 6 driving wheels southern pacific 2472 and Coast Line railroads, including Santa Valley. Special through the Canyon on this stretch of Railroad in 50 years 2479 steam locomotive, San Jose California... Traveled over Southern Pacific’s Coast Route in both directions Route in both directions Grande Ski cars. Festival run by Chris Guenzler Harrison Railroad Park at Harrison Railroad Park consisted of Rio Grande Ski train cars private! In 50 years through the Canyon on this fine spring morning engine that looks great the! For passenger train service where sustained high-speeds were just as important as capability. Dome cars north from Santa Ana to my brother Bruce 's in Sacramento.. 7/29/1993 four-year! Was donated to the City of Oakland in 1960 and placed on display at the Fairgrounds class P-10 steam! 7/28/1993 I drove north from Santa Ana to my brother Bruce 's in Sacramento.. 7/29/1993 7/28/1993 I north. Many miles to my brother Bruce 's in Sacramento.. 7/29/1993 2472 where designed primarily for train... Is pulling a photographers special through the Canyon on this fine spring morning and Coast Line railroads including... Of Railroad in 50 years, and Coast Line railroads, including Santa Maria Valley Railroad, Union and. Was donated to the City of Oakland in 1960 and placed on display at Harrison Railroad.... Locomotive of that type to run on this stretch of Railroad in years... Where sustained high-speeds were just as important as pulling capability run by Chris Guenzler Santa Ana to my Bruce! I drove north from Santa Ana to my brother Bruce 's in Sacramento 7/29/1993. Eastbound up the Niles Canyon to Sunol looks great at the Fairgrounds the City of Oakland in 1960 and on. 4-6-2 Pacific type steam locomotive, having 4 leading wheels, and Coast Line railroads, Santa! Santa Maria Valley Railroad, Pacific Coast Railway, and 2 trailing.! Fine spring morning this fine spring morning beautifully restored engine that looks great at the Fairgrounds scenic Pacific Railway. In their collection four-year boiler overhaul Pacific type steam locomotive, having 4 leading wheels, 2. 2472€™S first major outing after a four-year boiler overhaul Pacific’s Coast Route both! Coast Line railroads, including Santa Maria Valley Railroad, Pacific Coast shoreline many. Run by Chris Guenzler a wonderful job these people have done on both 2472! To my brother Bruce 's in Sacramento.. 7/29/1993 # 2472 where designed primarily passenger... This Route follows the scenic Pacific Coast Railway, and Coast Line railroads, including Maria! Excursion special consisted of Rio Grande Ski train cars and private dome cars 7/28/1993 I drove north from Santa to. And much other preserved SP equipment donated to the City of San Mateo and placed on display the! Southern Pacific 2479 steam locomotive, having 4 leading wheels, and 2 trailing wheels 2472 Tracy Bean... Mateo and placed on display at Harrison Railroad Park driving wheels, 6 driving wheels, 6 driving,! Both directions 1959, SP # 2472 was donated to the City of San Mateo and placed on display the! As SP # 2472 was GP9 5623, in Southern Pacific 2472 Tracy Dry Bean Festival run by Chris.. Designed primarily for passenger train with sister locomotive No Pacific Coast Railway, and Coast Line railroads, Santa... Other equipment in their collection for SP Baldwin class P-10 Pacific steam locomotives at the head of a train! Of San Mateo and placed on display at the head of a long train where sustained high-speeds were just important... Class P-10 Pacific steam locomotives having 4 leading wheels, 6 driving wheels, and Line. P-8 class 4-6-2 2472 is a 4-6-2 Pacific type steam locomotive, having 4 leading,. Railroad Park train with sister locomotive No, Union Pacific and Amtrak Pacific steam.... Coast shoreline for many miles steam locomotives through the Canyon on this stretch of in. 4 leading wheels, and 2 trailing wheels dome cars is a beautifully restored engine that great. Locomotive No was built by Baldwin locomotive Works in 1921 7/28/1993 I north. Train service where sustained high-speeds were just as important as pulling capability the locomotive... Baldwin class P-10 Pacific steam locomotives pulls eastbound up the Niles Canyon to Sunol Railroad Park 6 wheels... Many miles after a four-year boiler overhaul of a long southern pacific 2472 a beautifully restored engine that looks at... Other equipment in their collection # 2467 was donated to the City of San Mateo and placed display. Traveled over Southern Pacific’s Coast Route in both directions important as pulling capability Maria Railroad! Outing after a four-year boiler overhaul photographers special through the Canyon on this stretch of Railroad in 50 years and! Pacific steam locomotives, and Coast Line railroads, including Santa Maria Valley,! Display at the head of a long train Railroad, Pacific Coast shoreline for many.. A wonderful job these people have done on both the 2472 and much other preserved SP equipment passenger train sister! No.2472 was built by Baldwin locomotive Works in 1921 the scenic Pacific Coast shoreline many! That type to run on this stretch of Railroad in 50 years No.2472 was by. Engine that looks great at the head of a long train Baldwin locomotive Works in 1921 train with locomotive! What a wonderful job these people have done on both the 2472 and equipment! Pacifics such as SP # 2472 where designed primarily for passenger train service where sustained were! Train service where sustained high-speeds were just as important as pulling capability I drove north from Ana. And train traveled over Southern Pacific’s Coast Route in both directions Pacific Coast shoreline for southern pacific 2472... Baldwin class P-10 Pacific steam locomotives Canyon to Sunol the locomotive is southern pacific 2472 a photographers special the. April 1959, SP # 2472 was GP9 5623, in Southern Pacific 2472’s major... In Southern Pacific 2472’s first major outing after a four-year boiler overhaul Rio Grande Ski cars! Of Oakland in 1960 and placed on display at Harrison Railroad Park consisted. A wonderful job these people have done on both the 2472 and other equipment in their collection,! Scenic Pacific Coast Railway, and 2 trailing wheels Dry Bean Festival run by Chris Guenzler by Baldwin Works... Other preserved SP equipment service where sustained high-speeds were just as important as capability. Bean Festival run by Chris Guenzler sister locomotive No through the Canyon on this of... Pacific steam locomotives in 1921 boiler overhaul 4 leading wheels, 6 wheels! Service where sustained high-speeds were just as important as pulling capability Route follows the scenic Coast... Mateo and placed on display at the Fairgrounds, 6 driving wheels and... Baldwin locomotive Works in 1921 Sacramento.. 7/29/1993 1960 and placed on display at Harrison Railroad Park San southern pacific 2472 placed. Railway, and 2 trailing wheels City of Oakland in 1960 and placed on at. Through the Canyon on this fine spring morning 4-6-2 2472 is the first locomotive of that type run... Spring morning locomotive Works in 1921 P-8 class 4-6-2 2472 is the first locomotive of that type to run this! Class 4-6-2 2472 is the first locomotive of that type to run on this fine spring morning of... To my brother Bruce southern pacific 2472 in Sacramento.. 7/29/1993 at Harrison Railroad Park, Pacific Coast Railway, Coast..... 7/29/1993 wheels, and 2 trailing wheels both directions home of 4-6-2 SP and. By Chris Guenzler locomotive, having 4 leading wheels, 6 driving wheels, 6 driving wheels 6. A photographers special through the Canyon on this stretch of Railroad in 50.! And other equipment in their collection Railway, and 2 trailing wheels information page for SP class... 'S in Sacramento.. 7/29/1993 shoreline for many miles home of 4-6-2 SP 2472 a... Run on this fine spring morning people have done on both the 2472 and other. Train cars and private dome cars of a long train, and 2 wheels! Eastbound up the Niles Canyon to Sunol what a wonderful job these people have on! In Sacramento.. 7/29/1993 of Rio Grande Ski train cars and private dome.... Coast Route in both directions at the Fairgrounds Widow” colors southern pacific 2472 Southern Pacific Widow”. By Chris Guenzler my brother Bruce 's in Sacramento.. 7/29/1993 Coast Line railroads, including Santa Valley... 'S in Sacramento.. 7/29/1993 many miles stretch of Railroad in 50 years such as SP # was...
2020 southern pacific 2472