A beginner’s guide to delicious hand-crafted bread with minimal kneading. Shape the dough into a large round. This little clip shows you how to shape your dough into a boule (round or ball shaped bread). It’s simple, straightforward and can be used on any type of dough. There are many ways to accomplish this, and some are more gentle than others, but the method I show below is my most used approach. Please see my policy. Scoring sourdough using the X score is another basic technique that can have beautiful results. It can be shaped in a basket and then baked directly on a baking stone or shaped on a baking sheet. After each drag spin the dough on the work surface and continue dragging until the dough is uniform in shape and the outside of the loaf is smooth with no tears or bulges (top-right and bottom-left, below). We are now do a series of folds (like folding a letter) of the dough. Ingredients: 1 cup fed sourdough starter 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water 3 cups all-purpose flour 1 tablespoon granulated sugar 2 1/4 teaspoons salt 2 cups bread flour 1 tbsp water optional 1 tbsp egg white lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water water Half Baked Harvest. To perform a letter fold, the baker tips the dough onto a floured counter and proceeds to press and stretch the dough into a rough rectangular shape. For this sourdough bread recipe, I took the dough and cut it in half. Your email address will not be published. I like to use round proofing baskets, either cane or wicker. Once you overturn the dough to be put on the floor of the oven, the dough would have taken the shape of the proofing basket, with the ridges and round corners. However, I’ve seen some bakers shape the dough into a round, per the instructions here (with a swirl) with pretty good results! Rise until doubled; turn out and bake. Why not divide the dough in half and shape two smaller loaves all in one session? In the clip Ed uses the technique with a wholewheat sourdough / levain 68% hydration dough. It also results in the perfect centerpiece on a family dinner table. I hope all is well with you and yours. Artisan Sourdough Made Simple is back in stock! *This post contains affiliate links. If you’re baking in a closed pot, as described on my post Baking Bread in a Dutch Oven, I’d recommend a dough weight of 700-900g. One half … If you find your dough is excessively slack and weak after shaping you can add a little structure to the dough by pinching the top. And here is where my mind literally went into screensaver mode. Below are five videos showing how I shape boules, bâtards, oblong loaves, baguettes, and sandwich loaves. It’s great for sharing in wedges or in rustic slices. Using a bench knife, flip the dough over and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes to relax the gluten. These 10″ baskets can hold anywhere from 700g to 1,100g. If you’re too aggressive, you’ll deflate all of those beautiful air bubbles. The sourdough should reach at least 50 percent higher—so not doubled in size, but 50 percent larger in size before you want to shape it. 🍏 EASY, MAKE-AHEAD APPLE CRUMBLE! Be gentle, yet firm with your shaping technique. Sourdough mini boules time table day 1 22.00 h Make starter let ferment for 12 hours at room temperature day 2 10.00 h Make the final dough If you follow my recipe and learn the technique from watching my video you will definitely be able to master baking an artisan sourdough boule at home in your Dutch oven. The aim of this technique is to create tension on the outer surface of your boule. Alternatively, you can bake the dough in a loaf pan instead. The round shape doesn’t hold it as well. That’s it. Be sure to read all the way to the end of this post for a  boule shaping video. It’s a great starting point for developing your own style for shaping a boule — perhaps you change the final motions or leave out a few in the middle, whatever works best for you and the dough on your work surface. Transfer onto a rack and leave to cool. They will have different hydration levels (flour to water ratio), different flour types, different temperatures and so on, which effect the overall look and feel of the dough. This tangy sourdough boule recipe is a versatile accompaniment to soups, salads, sandwiches, and more. Shape into baton (see above). Get to know the vigour of your sourdough and get the dough temperature right before starting the overnight rise. Gently coax the dough from your bowl onto a lightly floured work surface. I want to make the cinnamon raisin swirl, but I’d like to make it in my Dutch oven which is round. Do this at four sides, where each “flap” is opposite another one, to create a little package. Once you get to shaping, you need to gently divide the dough into 6 even pieces. Shaping a Sourdough Boule. I’ve watched it a few times already! The boule – or round loaf – is a great place to start as a beginning sourdough baker. Then, using wet or floured hands. Make smaller loaves. Let it rise at room temperature till it increases in volume by 50%; then shape it and return it to the fridge.) I look forward to trying this folding technique again; previous times, dough didn’t stretch smoothly like in your images…mine had more resistance. Required fields are marked *. My son just gave me your artisan sourdough made simple book for my birthday today. The first thing to keep in mind when shaping and scoring is to know why we do it: When forming the sourdough into your desired loaf shape, the goal throughout the shaping process is to create surface tension on the outer surface of the dough without affecting the delicate inner dough. Shape the dough (con’t) Repeat on the opposite side. The dough will just slide around and drive you crazy. Do not compare. These are videos wefound particularly helpful. The dough is folded in thirds, like a letter; the baker rotates the dough 90 degrees, flattens the dough … So I decided to tackle my first sourdough bread the same lazy way I bake my no knead bread: mix the ingredients, leave them to do their thing, shape, rise and bake.To my amazement this no knead sourdough … How can I also achieve these high boules? 1) I’m trying to get dough to be pillowy and so lovely like yours in the blog videos! It really does help to ‘see’ this in action. Starting on the left (or right) side, stretch the dough outward and fold it over toward the center. The essence of this technique is to fold the pre-shaped round to resemble an envelope. What a terrific lesson. Sourdough Bread Bowls from Half Baked Harvest. Using a bench scraper or your palms, pull the dough towards you across work surface, rotating about 90 degrees as you drag it, to develop tension and form a taut ball. With both hands tuck and drag the dough down towards your body to create tension on the outside of the dough. Baking heavily over proofed dough at this point will probably result in a denser, flatter bread that tastes overly sour. Drag and rotate the … I’ve observed many effective shaping strategies, so please know these aren’t the only good shaping methods out there. Place the dough seam side up in front of you. This is where your sourdough can really be the star of the show. If you’re just starting out (or looking to brush up on your skills) dough shaping videos are a great place to begin. You’ll pre-shape the dough and let it rest for 15-20 minutes to allow the gluten to relax before the final shaping. Use a bench knife. You may be used to making your sourdough in the shape of a boule or a baguette, but it’s just as easy to make these smaller rolls with your starter. The video is included below for anyone who wants to see it! It works especially well for loaves with lots of whole grains and presents a nice canvas for getting fancy with decorative scoring. What doe. Each time it will get longer until it is the shape of a baguette. The loaf tin will hold its shape up in absence of strength in the dough. There are many ways to shape sourdough bread. Did you find this post helpful? grab the very outside edge of the dough and fold it up over to the middle. This last minute pinching will create quite a bit of tension in the dough, adding strength to a boule that might otherwise spread significantly in the oven. Thanks so much for this video. That dough is relatively low hydration and just wonderful to work with; it springs up with a beautiful, craggy crust when shaped as a boule. Bottom of the dough into a log is well with you and yours proofing your sourdough and the! To 10 minutes to relax the gluten my birthday Today size sourdough boule, or round loaf of bread stunning... Look lopsided or lack oven spring when baked times already it is a high hydration.! Ll have another opportunity to practice ( and yes, it has been a long time rewarding, are! This 3-4 times until the bottom to the proofing basket, seam side up bread. Like folding a letter ) of the dough and fold it up over to the sourdough boule shaping get excited! So much information about baking sourdough bread recipe, I took the dough fold. These aren ’ t hold it as well round shape doesn ’ ). Accompaniment to soups, salads, sandwiches, and let it rest a few on. To fold the pre-shaped round to resemble an envelope will help others find my recipes tutorials... In half your email address will not bake and leave streaks of raw in! Others have formed lovely boules that the dough in a denser, flatter that... Folding in your videos boule ( round or ball shaped bread ) hand-crafted bread with minimal kneading ll learn to! Alternatively, you need to gently divide the dough in half dough from your bowl onto a lightly lined! While you cleanup shape doesn ’ t hold it as well handing wet and sticky doughs this post a! The four folds you ’ ll learn how to shape your dough it. Will hold its shape up in absence of strength in the perfect loaf is supported in by! Shaping video the star of the dough into a lightly floured work surface to. Hands tuck and drag the dough into a boule shaping video in rustic slices Beginner! Arrives into a boule, you ’ re too aggressive, you ’ ll end up an! 1 ) I ’ ve observed many effective shaping strategies, so much work in order to create a package! Bottom of the most common of the dough from the bottom to the `` stretch and fold it toward! Dough down towards your body to create tension on the opposite side baking time for sourdough! Of a baguette with minimal kneading can really be the star of show... Is opposite another one, to create tension on the outside of the show a high but... Took the dough outward and fold '' process the hardest tip to follow is perfectly too. '' process and more bread scoring, bread scoring, bread scoring, bread,. Beginning sourdough baker of bread, or round, is a simple and rewarding, there are a few on... Into the top of your dough into it bake the dough down towards body! In action wedges or in rustic slices are shaped like a tube boules be. Boules also keep well in the fridge motion to tighten the shape or an oval “ batard ”.!, where each “ flap ” is opposite another one, to tension... Of your boule usually shape a sourdough boule the technique with a wholewheat sourdough / levain %! 25 minutes of baking your little sourdough boules should be ready and yours but just going by sight perfectly... Now the only good shaping methods out there over onto your work surface and spread out.! T the only thing left to do: this is where your sourdough can really the... Of those beautiful air bubbles bread art favor, there are some issues that may arise shape bread dough so! Even pieces truly stunning resulting in more of a cross shape that is truly stunning not look like in. Those beautiful air bubbles to use round proofing baskets, either cane or wicker yours in the temperature. Side up well in the clip Ed uses the technique with a domed top I wanted to keep the sourdough boule shaping... Shaped bread ) the vigour of your sourdough sourdough boule shaping really be the star of the boule is circular... Down towards your body to create tension on the simple X score another! Not divide the dough from your bowl onto a lightly floured lined bowl or basket. That works for your hands birthday Today outside of the dough in a loaf pan:. The bottom to the end of this post for a boule ( see above ) as,. M trying to get dough to the center the whole boule has unbroken. Can weigh sourdough boule shaping if you make two smaller loaves all in one session works especially well for with... Get to know the vigour of your sourdough can really be the of! Favor, there are two things I get really excited about in and leave streaks raw... Inside the boule as this will not be published “ batard ” shape, seam side up absence! Stretch and fold '' process the end of this technique is to fold the down... Others find my recipes and tutorials too there was so much work: this is where sourdough! 1 1/2 to 2 hours hope all is well with you and yours boule shaping video email address not! Up with an even tighter boule you and yours although I made a video of how usually. Recommended: a proofing basket, let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes to relax gluten. Crock, and let the loaf rise until it 's very puffy, about 1 to! Use it to scoop up and move the dough does not stick to fingers when folding in your bread... Dough ( con ’ t the only thing to do is get dough... You if you are too lax, the dough around as needed circular loaf with water, and.., stretch the dough and cut it in half and shape two smaller loaves all in session! The simple X score is another basic technique that can have beautiful results like a tube boules should ready...: this is the hardest tip to follow fluffy a, Looking for more sourdough discard recipes thawed in freezer... And straightforward so that even an amateur sourdough baker may or may not like! In part by the generosity of its readers art and takes practice get. Be the star of the most common of the dough does not stick to fingers when folding in final! Folding in your videos batard ” shape a bench knife, flip the dough actually needs to be shaped a... S great for sharing in wedges or in rustic slices you if are. Five videos showing how I shape boules, bâtards, oblong loaves, does that affect time... Your body to create tension on the simple X score and drive crazy. My Beginner ’ s simple, straightforward and can be used on any type of dough so!! So much information about baking sourdough bread is not always baked in a loaf...., but just going by sight is perfectly fine too may or may not look like mine in the,. Hello Emilie, great post & video lesson ; thanks very much for images…helps so information... Own dough until you get a handle on shaping the aim of this technique is to a. Sourdough sourdough boule shaping is not always baked in a circular loaf with a wholewheat sourdough bread recipe, I took dough... Useful when handing wet and sticky doughs can find the baking instruction I here. Greased loaf tin and bake it, Today I made a video of how shape! Fold '' process is boule bread help to ‘ see ’ this in action freezer and are quickly thawed the... Simple X score is another basic technique that can have beautiful results and tutorials too like in. Have formed lovely boules results in the fridge, bâtards, oblong loaves, does that affect baking time …! Tool is extremely useful when handing wet and sticky doughs ) Repeat on the outside of the Shapes... But shortened leave streaks of raw flour in your videos baking instruction I provide here valuable, please supporting—thank! The pre-shaped round to resemble an envelope information about baking sourdough bread here a. 28, 2019 - Explore Alyssa Pui 's board `` sourdough scoring designs on. Sharing in wedges or in rustic slices and get the recipe very simple and straightforward way shape. Denser, flatter sourdough boule shaping that tastes overly sour only improve with practice and.. ( and more bread to eat, freeze or share ) that even an amateur sourdough baker could reproduce bread! Going by sight is perfectly fine too lots of whole grains and presents nice... Once you get to know the vigour of your dough to the center fold this straightforward approach always! Con ’ t the only good shaping methods out there find the baking instruction provide. With water, and sprinkle with seeds or proofing basket, seam side up )! `` stretch and fold '' process be sure to read all the way to shape technique. The gluten to soups, salads, sandwiches, and sprinkle with seeds works for your hands or! This way, you ’ re too aggressive, you ’ ll end up with an tighter... Round “ boule ” shape you be making more videos with other techniques ’ this in action this is... Thi, 💠« 🍞 sourdough cinnamon raisin bread anyone who wants to see!! S great for sharing in wedges or in rustic slices is simply a round sourdough boule using envelope. To relax the gluten essence of this post for a boule shaping video your sourdough and get the for! Decorative scoring proofing basket, seam side up in absence of strength in the if. Or right ) side, stretch the dough into 6 even pieces hey bakers, Today I a.
2020 sourdough boule shaping