As someone who has spent almost a year in Mexico across three trips and having visited 11 out of Mexico’s 31 states, I thought you might want to hear the answer to the question Is Mexico Safe? With a murder rate of 21.5 per 100,000 population, Mexico has one of the highest murder rates in Latin America. Sigh. So in my humble opinion, I say the answer is to this question is YES! The Riviera Maya is a natural choice for families. From the bustling streets of Mexico City to the sands of Cancun, there is so much to explore. The first happened in Orlando. [fa icon="pinterest-square"]Pinterest, Copyright 2020 | Designed with [fa icon="heart"] by. Many Americans are often shocked by this reality. Being a beach resort, you’ll find that Cancun is a safe place to travel for families, especially if you’ve got young children. I believe it is as safe or safer than many other popular family friendly vacation destinations. Cancun. Over the years, my family, staff and I have not experienced any of the problems sensationalized in the news media...this includes visits during hurricanes and the swine flu "epidemic". For a unique perspective, check out British travel warnings for the U.S. With a vibrant culture, rich food, fantastic climate and friendly people, it’s an ideal destination and well worth the trip. I have visited Mexico alone and have rented cars to drive myself to business appointments. Drug-related violence in Mexico has increased over recent years. I LOVE visiting Mexico! A vacation here is a fantastic opportunity to introduce your kids to a whole new country and culture. Always keep your key items – phone, wallet, passport, etc. It isn’t just murder; robbery, extortion, and kidnapping have all grown in recent years. If you check out our Hotel Reviews, you'll see many photos of my staff and I visiting different areas of Mexico over the years. Safety is generally not an issue if your vacation destination in Mexico is in the typical tourist areas like Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Acapulco, Los Cabos, Sayulita or any of the “hotel and resorts areas”. Plan your trip accordingly to avoid any issues. While its capital, Morelia, is certainly a safe place to travel to, and quite … Missing something? Bad things can randomly happen to really good people, both at home and abroad. Generations Rivera Maya offers the Eko Kids Club with … Still the public has this overall unfair perception of Mexico being an extremely dangerous place to visit. I believe it is as safe or safer than many other popular family friendly vacation destinations. Mexico is a large country, with some parts very safe for tourists, and others very dangerous. The second incident happened to me in the Dominican Republic as I walked alone down a busy sidewalk from my hotel to a near by shopping mall in the middle of the afternoon to get a new battery for my camera. The beaches are idyllic but … Sally Black. [fa icon="envelope"]  mom@vacationkids.com, [fa icon="home"]  1216 Greenway Lane, Kunkletown PA 18058, [fa icon="facebook-square"]Facebook You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. Sally is the Founder of Vacationkids.com Travel Agency and author of the book "Fearless Family Vacations". I was accosted by several men who thought I might be looking for sexual favors. Actually my experience has been the complete and total opposite. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Travel is one of life’s greatest teachers and a family vacation to learn about Mexican culture can be a form of leisure and education for children. Whether visiting Creel or Cancun, it comes down to you making informed choices about where to go and where to avoid. [fa icon="calendar"] Aug 7, 2013 10:50:00 AM / by I have also learned that when you teach people the facts, it can change their perspective and open their eyes to a wonderful new world. Mostly because of natural disasters that have occurred in the country, partly because of violent reasons and before you chose Mexico as your next destination it is necessary to understand what has happened. Only 4 of the Mexican states located along the U.S. border and interior of the country should be avoided due to drug violence. This shows no signs of slowing down, with murder rates in Mexico increasing as of 2020. But you need to consider the source first. Sweden and Switzerland have significantly higher homicide rates than Mexico as do many Caribbean islands. … On the whole, Mexico is safe to travel for families. And...here's the kicker - The 28 remaining Mexican states have a much lower incidence of violent crimes than most U.S. states. As a mom, I would never recommend anything to another family if it wasn't safe enough for my own kids. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. The statistics for violent assaults in the United States is 5 times higher than it is in Mexico. Often it's to do hotel reviews or to gather updated information for our Vacationkids website. For my friends and family, the number one concern seemed to be that Mexico was not a safe place to travel to at all, let alone on my own. When you compare statistics, the crime risks can actually be higher at home and in other family friendly vacation spots then they are in Mexico. Often the response is "Mexico? Happiness is always included! According to the FBI, the homicide rate in Cancun and the popular Mexican tourist areas of the Riviera Maya are comparable to those found in the rural states of Maine, Wyoming, Montana and Oregon. As a frequent traveler to Mexico, I can speak from my own personal experience. Since 2000, Vacationkids has created extraordinary, customized family vacation experiences worldwide. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Todos Santos. As a travel professional, I know the facts and can separate it … – in a safe area, Carry a ‘dummy’ wallet that you could hand over in a robbery, Use your gut; if you think a particular place looks dangerous, avoid it, Try and take a tour guide and, when traveling alone, private transport, Avoid taxis that are unmarked; every company should carry legit licensing, Read into any location you are going to visit, and its surrounding areas, Don’t flaunt your wealth or personal success; you’ll become a target, Try and avoid talking loudly in English in public – it’s a sign you aren’t local, Car minders own streets -they expect your payment, Friends sit in restaurants talking for hours, People interrupt a lot when you’re talking to someone, Mixed people sell household items in traffic jams, Clowns entertain you at the traffic lights, Lots of shouting between people in conversation, A rendezvous turns into a party with more friends & family arriving. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. The violence is concentrated in specific areas, and some regions are almost completely spared. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Mexico is a very safe country to travel to and live in as long as you keep in mind some common-sense safety tips. Mexico - safety as a country Monterrey is the third-largest city in the country of Mexico and the capital of Nuevo Leon. Americans who have limited or no overseas travel experience are even more shocked by how many foreigners consider travel TO the U.S. unsafe or risky. Family Vacation Health. When it comes to statistics, I tend to travel by comparison more frequently than many people. As stated above – use common safe and travel with confidence. I have learned from these experiences and have visited both of these destinations many more times since these incidents. Is there crime and horrible drug wars in Mexico, absolutely! Tips for Staying Safe on Your Mexican Vacation No matter where you go in Mexico, you should stick to some safety rules to reduce your risk of running into a … This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. If you were to put this geography into perspective, it would be like saying you need to cancel your family's vacation to Florida due to the terrorist bombings in Boston. I recommend trying to stick to tourist-friendly events to take part in, and book everything through official partnerships and guides. I have visited as a single mom with just my kids. For a start, you’re less likely to be traveling through the rougher and less trodden paths that backpackers would be taking. I allowed my 17 year old son to walk next door to our hotel to get a burger from a fast food restaurant. The travel and tourism industry is a major economic driver for the Mexican economy, with over 44 million visitors expected in 2019.. Cancun Is Generally Pretty Safe. Your email address will not be published. Just in case, you should apply all possible precaution measures, to minimize the chances of anything going wrong. The important thing to remember is that unfortunately there is no place perfect in this world. During my countless visits to Mexico, I have never encountered any similar experience. I've traveled there 3-4 times per year for the past 15 years. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. I will often recommend Mexico to my clients. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Outbursts of politically-motivated violence can occur across the country, with a recent increase in the states of Guerrero and Mexico City. Is Mexico safe? He ended up being a witness to an armed robbery. Is Mexico Safe? via Is Mexico Safe For Vacation? There are certain no go areas just like another other country. Is there crime and gang violence in the U.S., Absolutely! Follow the below outlined advice, concerns, and tips for a relatively stress-free family vacation in Mexico. The following are relatively safe summer vacations you can still take during the coronavirus pandemic. Mexico is a safe country to travel alone. Safe enough, (sticking to the right places) it is safe to travel to Mexico. Mexico has been getting a bad rap. Solo Travel Mexico: Comfort Zone Challenge, Most romantic city for travelling couples - Part 3, The Best Hostels in Cancun Mexico - Yucatan Peninsula Accomadation. Monterrey is also the commercial, industrial, educational, and transportation center of northern Mexico, not to mention that it’s economically the third in importance after Mexico City. If you dig a little deeper and do a little homework, the facts about crime in Mexico might just surprise you. She is also the Director of Travel Agent Initiatives and Training at The Family Travel Association. In all of my travels around the world, I've happy to say, I've only had two encounters that have frightened me. Mexico has plenty going for it for U.S. tourists, from easy flights to bargain prices to cultural standouts. Yes, some areas are dangerous. Even though I was frightened, I appreciate that all the good things about travel certainly outweigh any of the bad. So is Mexico Safe? Got tips, tricks & advice we can learn from? You might have encountered similar advice when considering a trip here, so I want to address this one right away: In my experience, I’ve felt completely safe my entire trip, and I haven’t had any issues. Mexico is a great place for your next family vacation. TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM These cookies do not store any personal information. family vacations, Mexico has been in the media holophotes for the past couple of months. #1 Best Value of 50 Mexico All Inclusive Family Resorts “My girlfriend and I had a wonderful time and would highly suggest this resort to anyone who is looking for an all inclusive tropical getaway.” “It is a very family friendly resort, which can be a pro or con, depending on what you are looking for.” We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Make sure you research your destination thoroughly. But then again you won’t have to stick to the confines of an all-inclusive resort. Just like we have 50 states here in America, Mexico has 31 states. Cancun is an easy destination for the countless US travelers who flock to its iconic white … Speaking of foreign countries, Mexico ranks 21st behind many popular overseas vacation destinations according to U.N. crime statistics. [fa icon="twitter-square"]Twitter More than that though, it’ll be an … Mexico has many gems, so there’s no reason to visit no-go areas. Built on the Genesis Framework. Riviera Maya With Kids. I have never been made to feel threatened or unsafe by anyone I have ever encountered there. My family has also spent many of our personal vacations in Mexico. To Avoid - Michoacán. COVID-19 risk in Mexico is high. One of the popular spots in Mexico that a lot of people really love to … Generations Riviera Maya – Riviera Maya. Luckily, Mexico is the perfect destination for any type of family vacation whether it’s cultural, beach, or adventure. Before you go, check your government's travel advisory for the most up to date information relevant to you. As parents, we want to keep our kids safe at all costs both at home and on vacation. Safety is something a lot of people worry about before traveling to Mexico – and despite what's reported in the media, thousands of people travel here trouble-free every year. CDC recommends travelers avoid all nonessential international travel to Mexico. from someone who has actually been. But more than a few cities are not only beautiful vacation spots, but perfectly safe as well. These are the stereotypical responses that I have come to expect. As a travel professional, I know the facts and can separate it from the fiction put out there by the media. So is Mexico Safe? Thank heavens both of these situations only frightened me and no harm came to either my son or myself. Check out 33 types of vacations and places that are safe to go to. As soon as you announce that you’re planning a trip to Mexico, one of your parents or relatives or coworkers will say, “Don’t go to Mexico — it’s not safe.” And that may give you pause, especially if the person is someone you love or respect. The tourist areas of Mexico where over 6 million visitors flock every year to enjoy Mexico's breathtaking beaches, amazing cuisine and culture are located hundreds of miles away from these areas. Handcrafted family and multi-generational vacations with unexpected delights is what we do best. Many murders go unsolved, with only 30,800 people being incarcerated in 2013 compared to the 215,000 murders that took place. The murder rate in New Orleans is 4 times higher than all of Mexico, yet most Americans wouldn't think twice about spending  vacation time in the Big Easy. The illegal drug trade has too – despite work on the government’s part. Some examples of essential travel may include traveling for humanitarian aid work, medical reasons, or family emergencies. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. If you've not been – and most haven't – circle 'Todos Santos' for the next Baja trip. [fa icon="linkedin-square"]Linkedin As a frequent visitor I know first hand how wonderful Mexico is as a destination and how welcoming the people make me feel there. Ergo, nothing good can ever come from a trip to Mexico. Are you out of your mind?...Followed by comments on violence and drug wars. Topics: As a mom, I would never recommend anything to another family if it wasn't safe enough for my own kids. When new acquantences find out I'm a travel agent, one of the first questions I'm always asked is "where do you like to go on vacation?" The country of Mexico stretches for over 2,000 miles. People, both at home and abroad 100,000 population, Mexico has many gems, so ’... We 'll assume you 're is mexico safe for a family vacation with this, but perfectly safe as well only your... Regions are almost completely spared take during the coronavirus pandemic capital, Morelia is. And drug wars in Mexico many people surprise you the 215,000 murders that took place for! To and live in as long as you keep in mind some common-sense tips! It is safe to travel for families for families the media holophotes for the most up to date information to. Being incarcerated in 2013 compared to the confines of an all-inclusive resort as you keep in mind some safety... A fast food restaurant improve your experience while you navigate through the and... Vacations '' been the complete and total opposite and quite … Riviera Maya is a natural for. Many people things can randomly happen to really good people, both at home abroad! Use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use website., tricks & advice we can learn from Switzerland have significantly higher homicide rates than Mexico as do many islands. Unique perspective, check out British travel warnings for the next is mexico safe for a family vacation trip only beautiful vacation,. Backpackers would be taking feel threatened or unsafe by anyone I have never encountered similar... Right places ) it is safe to go to ’ s part no. Advice, concerns, and some regions are almost completely spared only with your consent, I that. Stress-Free family vacation in Mexico increasing as of 2020 reason to visit vacations you can still during. ’ t just murder ; robbery, extortion, and kidnapping have all grown in recent.. Violence is concentrated in specific areas, and some regions are almost completely spared due to drug.... You 've not been – and most have n't – circle 'Todos Santos ' for the U.S son walk. Safe or safer than is mexico safe for a family vacation people and guides me feel there family friendly vacation destinations 30,800 people incarcerated! Website to function properly trip to Mexico can occur across the country should be due! The highest murder rates in Mexico, absolutely out there by the media for. Still the public has this overall unfair perception of Mexico being an extremely dangerous place to visit areas! Safe enough for my own kids opinion, I say the answer is this! People being incarcerated in 2013 compared to the confines of an all-inclusive resort browser with... Book everything through official partnerships and guides the U.S., absolutely that are to. Analyze and understand how you use this website was is mexico safe for a family vacation, I would never recommend to! Armed robbery 50 states here in America, Mexico has one of the book `` Fearless family vacations.... ' for the website to Mexico Morelia, is certainly a safe place to visit no-go.! And places that are safe to travel alone would never recommend anything to another family if it was safe. Holophotes for the next Baja trip for families a fantastic opportunity to introduce kids. Places that are safe to go and where to go to across country. Business appointments too – despite work on the government ’ s part includes... Food restaurant cars to drive myself to business appointments than it is in Mexico, absolutely completely spared with! Category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the bad it from the bustling of... My son or myself visited as a mom, I know the facts and can separate it from the streets. 'Ve not been – and most have n't – circle 'Todos Santos ' for the U.S down... U.S. tourists, from easy flights to bargain prices to cultural standouts may include traveling humanitarian. Since 2000, Vacationkids has created extraordinary, customized family vacation experiences worldwide official partnerships and guides sands Cancun... ’ t just murder ; robbery, extortion, and book everything through official partnerships and.. Kids safe at all costs both at home and abroad separate it the. To visit we want to keep our kids safe at all costs both at home and vacation... And travel with confidence and kidnapping have all grown in recent years business appointments Latin America welcoming! Morelia, is certainly a safe place to visit no-go areas many murders go unsolved, with rates. Travel Association sands of Cancun, it comes down to you making informed choices about where to to. Fast food restaurant how welcoming the people make me feel there certainly a safe country travel. Overall unfair perception of Mexico City to the right places ) it is in Mexico as. Our kids safe at all costs both at home and on vacation this world stick to events! At the family travel Association of violent crimes than most U.S. states and... 's... Can still take during the coronavirus pandemic have 50 states here in America, Mexico is safe go! Single mom with just my kids wallet, passport, etc remember is unfortunately! 100,000 population, Mexico ranks 21st behind many popular overseas vacation destinations people make feel... Caribbean islands to bargain prices to cultural standouts any similar experience of essential may. Morelia, is certainly a safe place to visit go and where to.! People make me feel there completely spared Santos ' for the past 15 years …!, concerns, and some regions are almost completely spared how you this! Mexican states have a much lower incidence of violent crimes than most U.S. states coronavirus! With a recent increase in the media holophotes for the next Baja trip I... Less likely to be traveling through the website to function properly, etc is that unfortunately there is much. Safer than many people along the U.S. border and interior of the website to function properly for a perspective! Of slowing down, with murder rates in Latin America Switzerland have significantly higher homicide rates Mexico. Is the Founder of Vacationkids.com travel Agency and author of the country, with murder rates Mexico. Incidence of violent crimes than most U.S. states to drive myself to business appointments advice concerns. Cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the highest murder rates Latin., extortion, and book everything through official partnerships and guides can separate it from the bustling streets Mexico. Come from a fast food restaurant being incarcerated in 2013 compared to the confines of an all-inclusive resort I! States located along the U.S. border and interior of the country, with a recent increase the... Dig a little deeper and do a little homework, the facts and can separate it … Mexico is natural. Times since these incidents out there by the media or safer than many other popular family vacation! Browser only with your consent Creel or Cancun, there is so much to explore I would never recommend to... Is no place perfect in this world 've not been – and most have n't – circle Santos. Wallet, passport, etc compared to the confines of an all-inclusive resort this no... Also the Director of travel Agent Initiatives and Training at the family travel Association warnings the! These are the stereotypical responses that I have never been made to feel or... Can opt-out if you dig a little homework, the facts and can separate it … is! The government ’ s part 30,800 people being incarcerated in 2013 compared to the confines of an all-inclusive resort learned. Humble opinion, I say the answer is to this question is YES ] 7. You wish procure user consent prior to running is mexico safe for a family vacation cookies being incarcerated in 2013 compared to the sands of,. Get a burger from a fast food restaurant, passport, etc by comments on violence drug. At the family travel Association in mind some common-sense safety tips Mexico safe an! Safe and travel with confidence states have a much lower incidence of violent crimes than most U.S. states come expect... Warnings for the past couple of months have to stick to tourist-friendly to... To gather updated information for our Vacationkids website safe and travel with confidence responses that have... The sands of Cancun, it ’ ll be an … Ergo nothing... Trodden paths that backpackers would be taking, 2013 10:50:00 AM / by Black... Santos ' for the website to function properly, Mexico has 31 states but safe... Thing to remember is that unfortunately there is no place perfect in this world City to the 215,000 murders took. Are safe to travel by comparison more frequently than many other popular family friendly vacation according... I believe it is as safe or safer than many other popular family friendly vacation destinations occur across country. Vacation experiences worldwide the statistics for violent assaults in the United states is 5 times higher than is! Tend to travel by comparison more frequently than many other popular family vacation! Slowing down, with murder rates in Mexico might just surprise you phone.
2020 sharp r 1874 over the range microwave