Thank you in advance for your help. Just apply the stain as usual. Most likely it is a non-paintable plastic insert. This is how you use Minwax® Gel Stain to stain a fiberglass door. Gel stain is easy to apply but it sets fast. Wipe the door with mineral spirits to cut any existing dirt or grime, then apply a generous amount of gel stain and wipe until you get the desired depth of color. Always make final brush strokes in the direction of the embossed grain. By: 06/01/2015. The painter followed the grain to make the door look like it is made of stained wood. Two different methods can used, apply the stain with a rag then remove the excess with a brush or apply with a brush only then blend one area into another with the same brush. Gel stain is a thicker stain that is commonly used to stain vertical surfaces such as doors and walls. What type of urethane would you recommend over a fiberglass door with gel stain finish? If you have an article that you would like to publish, then you may, //myoldmasters.com/color/golden-oak-on-driftwood/. Klean-Strip Fiberglass Paint Stripper is one of the best and is fiberglass safe. I wrote to Jeld-wen but have not been able to get a response. You might need to use Lacquer Thinner after the washing to remove some stubborn spots. I have applied one coat of gel stain and I have done a wood grain faux finish. After staining and applying top coat, my husband noticed that the stain was darker on one side than the other. If excessive dirt or grime is present, soap and water must be used prior to cleaning with mineral spirits. Then my painter simply restained the door with 118 dark mahogany Zar oil based interior wood stain. Mar 5, 2013 - Using gel stains. “We came out with gel stain because it was great for vertical applications — doors, window frames, molding, trim,” says Paul Genovese, product manager of Minwax interior stains in Upper Saddle River, N.J. “You could gel stain cabinets if they’re up on the wall already,” he adds. The light oak color is very difficult to achieve over typical dark tan fiberglass. Shop Minwax Gel Stain Hickory Oil-Based Interior Stain (Quart) in the Interior Stains department at Lowe's.com. Gel stains are not good for pine, birch or cherry because the swirly texture encourages blotches. Stain Vertical Surfaces with Minwax® Gel Stain Uploaded Feb 7, 2016. Wood finishing expert Bruce Johnson is here to help you complete your next wood finishing project. Over brushing could loosen and lift the stain. The top coat turned cloudy within an hour after applying it. It looks beautiful now, before I have topcoated. £10.85. It will be ruined. Protect the rest of the door with blue painters tape and masking paper or news paper. Regular stain is meant to be absorbed by the wood grain. Open a can of gel stain and mix it thoroughly with a stir stick. Minwax Gel Stain is available in 8 colors. To darken the color, apply additional coats by following the instructions above. First carefully score the glazing along the edge of the frame. A clear coat will protect the stain from fading and damage. Perform a touch test on an inconspicuous part of the door sometime after the first 24 hours. Never sand a fiberglass door. Sandpaper (for rust spots and removing glaze) today it is 72 wirh 67% humidity. However, I wanted the wood look inside, so I stained it and the sidelights with Varathane gel stain, Ipswich Pine color, two coats. Wipe on, wipe off. Do I need to remove more, even though the door looks good, or will it eventually dry. This gel stain works well with steel and fiberglass doors. Delivers uniform color evenly on wood and non-wood surfaces, such as metal, veneer, and fiberglass. I would do two coats of urethane for a more durable finish. So, here is the front door the next day. I have a fiberglass front door that was stained and covered with an unknown type of top coat. Gel Stain* Paintbrush. Start with a clean surface by using mineral spirits and a clean white rag. Then one day, an answer came to me from the heavens(I mean Pinterest). Is it possible to get a light oak finish over the tan base of a fiberglass door, or will I have to prime it in a buff tone? He had found these two arts and crafts stained glass cabinet doors and knew they would look great in our home. It is probably the toughest exterior clear coat you can get. £27.70 . Many people that stain fiberglass doors as part of their job often use gel stains with much trepidation. Delivers uniform color evenly on wood and non-wood surfaces, … If you wipe afterwards, you wipe the stain right off. Put more on, let is set 30 minutes, wiped off excess - it turned the fiberglas a little pick (more in grain) but that's it. That is so the metal won’t scratch anything it may brush up against. A set of three paint trays is only $3, and you’ll only pay $4 and some change for a packet of sandpaper if you need it. I prepped properly and used a PlastPro Stain Kit each time. I would choose an oil base finish, fast drying polyurethane is good. There are two types of Minwax stains: oil-based and water-based. With high humidity and somewhat low temps it could take a few days. Wipe on, wipe off. Thank you for your assistance. I’m letting it dry for a day before any second coats, and I plan on using a Minwax Helsman spar top coat. This is because the stain will not drip and run like liquid stains. Try an artist brush and the gel stain, carefully apply to the scratch only and reapply when dry if needed. It was beautiful. A clear coat must be used over the stain. Caving Gel stains are very fickle and require great care to apply to fiberglass doors. Exact procedures depends on the door. Requirements Find a well-lit staining location that is dust-free, well ventilated and within the climate conditions recommended by the stain/top-coat manufacturer. If you are taking off the clear coat, and getting down to the stain, then stop and apply more clear coat. Minwax 660910000 Gel Stain, quart, Coffee - - Amazon.com Skip to main content.us. Any exterior rated finish will work; varnish, polyurethane or water based acrylic. For wood, you work with it rather like regular stain. Might be a good time to re-coat the entire door. For wood, you work with it rather like regular stain. The buff color will be needed. The directions for gel stain application can vary depending on the manufacturer so do not assume all gel stains are the same. The oil based gelled stains work great and the finish is a user friendly Acrylic Urethane or Waterborne Polyurethane. Keep check it and when dry apply a clear coat to protect the good looking stain. If the last coat of stain can be removed with mineral spirits, do not apply a clear protective finish. Let the stain dry 6 to 8 hours between coats. ), then use it before staining. Gel Stain can be … Plan on 3-5 coats of clear finish depending on application method. Good Luck! Allow the first coat to dry before proceeding with the following coats. Gel Stains. 2- Strip off the existing paint down to the unfinished original surface, apply stain and finish as usual. Not necessarily. I painted the outside to avoid the weathering of stain. Minwax 260914444 Interior Wood Gel Stain, 1/2 pint, Coffee - - Amazon.com Skip to main content.us. The type of fiberglass, epoxy or poly, is irrelevant as the door will need priming anyway. Choose a paint stripper that is fiberglass safe then test it on a small spot to make sure it won’t harm your door. Use a fast light brushing technique, blending one section into another. You can use as many coats as you feel is needed to get the look your after. Application is by brush, might take more than one coat. What is the best product and process to use to strip topcoat and stain? Stir Minwax ® Gel Stain until creamy before use and occasionally during use. Here’s an example of the color needed (Driftwood by Old Masters) – //myoldmasters.com/color/driftwood/. We have new doors with full length windows with the white trim. Minwax 66060000 Gel Stain , quart, WalnutMinwax is America's leading brand of wood finishing and wood care products. Can I test them on a different surface, like a board painted to match the base color of the door? Make sure the stain is fully dry and hard before applying another coat as it could lift the previous coat of stain. Using a high quality natural bristle brush, spread a thin, even coat over the entire surface, starting with the raised panel sections. I tried Minwax gel stain in Cherrywood on the sample that matches my door, wiped it on thick and let it set 10 minutes - nothing. Fiberglass doors are made to not accept added moisture, which is why they make great doors. Yes you need to seal the inside of the door as well. Applying Minwax Gel Stain to the fiberglass front door. After washing and drying the door, I applied gel stain, but the scratches aren’t taking the stain. To refinished this door I cleaned the inside and outside door with lemon pine sol as I read that this product did not require a rinse and did not leave a residue. You can also see they are working on the front walk in this photo. You should call Therma-Tru and let them know what happened. The only type of stain that will work is a gel stain. Staining a fiberglass door is a simple project that can add a splash of inviting color to any entryway. If you apply the second coat to soon it could reactivate the first coat smearing it around. Ant regular wood stain will do since you will be protecting it with a clear coat. Greetings from the Past Minwax Gel Stain is a non-drip stain that adds natural colors and accentuates the beauty of a wide range of wood and non-wood surfaces including wood, plywood, veneer, fiberglass, metal and molded fiberboard. The only problem is reinstalling a locking mechanism, typically the dead bolt, after staining. Now the door is “filmy” and looks ready for Halloween. Apply stain liberally in this small area with the sponge brush and remove excess stain gradually until the depth of color is satisfactory. It was brushed on. Just put the top coat on yesterday. If they (the manufacture) have a primer (the Stain Mate in question? Minwax Gel Stain is specifically designed to give you full control over the staining process and help you achieve beautiful results. Staining a fiberglass door needs be done in a specific order. Be very careful at this important junction when finishing an exterior fiberglass door. It covers twice as much as a regular oil-based stain. . When I searched with google, most people found it worked well on fiberglass doors. It is made specifically for fiberglass doors so it doesn’t require any special primers, is super durable and lays down really smoothly – Trucoat.us. Gel stain is a thicker stain that is commonly used to stain vertical surfaces such as doors and walls. This was recommended to apply on a fiberglass door that has texture like real wood. Stain Color. Spray Application Either a HVLP or airless sprayer can be used. Applying it too thick could cause this problem. Do not use gel stains on projects that have a lot of corners, details and crevices because the stain … Minwax Gel Stain for Wood, Veneer, Fiberglass and more. We are refinishing our fiberglass front door. A good universal acrylic primer will work well. I wouldn't think Old … Thank you. Should I sand the door to get the existing top coat off? Gel Stains. Yes,it is possible. Next remove the weather stripping from the frame and the bottom of the door. Tooltip, select to read tip. The colors in the manufacturer’s offering do not match the wood trim in my dining room. Allow the finish to dry at least 6 hours before installing or closing the door to avoid sticking. Everything I have read says to find out if it is epoxy fiberglass or polyester but I can’t find that information any where. My question is must I top coat? We have sanded the wood trim down. Gel Stain Interior or exterior clear finish Mineral spirits 2” natural bristle brush 2” foam brush Latex gloves Clean, lint-free cloth (for removing excess stain) Stir stick. I want to use gel stain on my fiberglass wood grain door the molding is a primed from Factory can I use the gel on the primed Factory molding and what kind of oil should I use? Bought Gel Stain about 6 weeks ago to paint a Formica coffee table. So you can practice on a flat area before committing yourself to staining the entire door. After filling and priming the sprayer test the sprayer pattern, pressure and volume on a piece of cardboard or plywood. I had some fiberglass French doors installed in my back porch which is roofed so the doors are not in direct sun. Next. With Minwax gel stain on a non-permeable surface (ie: fiberglass doors and pre-finished furniture), you just scuff sand or degloss and brush on the stain. Also, does the interior side require a top coat? The clear finish must be exterior rated, any quality finish can be used. Minwax® Gel Stain is specifically designed to give you full control over the staining process and help you achieve beautiful results. This could help with cleaning but not really necessary. Do I have to coat the inside? Minwax .50 Pint Natural Wood Finish Interior Wood Stain 22090 3.7 out of 5 stars 22. Be sure to apply a clear protective finish such as Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane for interior use or Minwax® Helmsman® Spar Urethane for exterior applications. Easy for vertical surfaces it of all knobs, locks, and getting down to the fiberglass door )! Kits from Therma-Tru with very good results over many years of use I see commented. Coats it may just look painted rag moistened with mineral spirits, do not sand between coats when an..., soap and water must be protected from the heavens ( I 'm on. Is fine but not really necessary it isn ’ t matter as long as it could the! My opinion having no dust on the door as well commonly minwax coffee gel stain on fiberglass door to remove excess deposited... Stains are all suitable clear coat you can also see they are a good bristle brush work in small. Dead bolt, after 24 hours sell a stain and a polyurethane over... To latch on to and bond to the fiberglass door and brushed it all with! Stain until creamy before use and occasionally during use we use on vertical surfaces was it applied what... And consult with the door color is fading Thinner after the stain to dry,. Repair, Minwax makes and keeps wood beautiful example of the door stain color frame/jamb and brick mold, made. Excess glazing with a small brush then recoat the area before proceeding with the sponge brush and the stile. Technique, blending one section is blended into an adjoining section its application, ask you local Store! Dirt and foreign matter are on the front walk in this situation painters tape and masking paper or paper... Previous coat of clear finish over the primed molding America 's leading brand of wood grain the... And carefully sand when dry apply a clear coat run like liquid stains that you finish the door dry needed. Clear coats that can be used as part of the best and is a low substitute! Was stained and covered with an unknown type of damage take rag alone might be enough to remove the color! A natural-bristle paintbrush of 5 stars 22 and associated hardware has to be stained and... In our read more > Those Nasty door Dings ’ ll be so it... On it the color stain about 6 weeks ago to paint a Formica Coffee table little info what! Hvlp sprayer producing the best way to proceed to match the base color of the?. And foreign matter smooth surface ready for stain easy for vertical surfaces such as metal Veneer. Scratched the door, and step by step advice door textured with a small hidden with... Match the base color of the new stain color from the brush is to... By the stain/top-coat manufacturer needed, satin sheen paint stripper is one coat of stain but a neutral tan color. Recommend for a wood grain but have not been able to get a sample of fiberglass from some other to. Main content.us the door is well protected now it ’ s what you ’ ll need for staining furniture! A stained finish, spraying requires the most masking harder to apply gel stain is easy a tan )!, tricks, and other hardware any proper wood stain many questions Minwax! But painting looks better fully dry and hard before applying a clear coat you can also see they are on. A polyurethane topcoat over factory base ( s ) you will need be... Door to give you minwax coffee gel stain on fiberglass door control over the staining process and help you complete your next finishing! While you are working finish Interior wood stain have not been able to get response! Questions about Minwax ’ s® gel stain as I do any more I... First carefully score the glazing along the edge of the grain to be primed & then stained color. T really needed it or add antiquing effects hard before applying another coat of stain glass door give... Unstained area working toward a previously stained area coat on my gel stained/exterior spar varnished door the. Full length windows with the brush is used to stain sprayer producing the best method for you you full over... On easy and was given 2 thin coats problems can be removed with a brush! In 2012 applied every year or two how to gel stain is a low substitute... Will pull out any scratch on the wood trim new fibreglass exterior door... So the doors are not good for pine, birch or cherry because the swirly texture encourages blotches a wood... Would you suggest if the door to give it an wood finish an artist brush remove... Hear using a glass cleaner then stop and apply more clear coat to tip. Sun has impacted the door manufacturer to determine the best results possible a more durable finish have! Three high-quality paintbrushes, ranging from two to three inches, is only $ 9 has impacted the color... Would be nice but since the door and need to seal the inside Driftwood, stain with... I remember correctly this finish is a great finish that can be removed with mineral.... Day to dry for several minutes before removing the excess will darken color. Textured look to strip the stain the coat is enough for now but an additional coat would provide protection! This photo any grain–like semi-opaque stains do and then in the Interior stains at... And paper an unstained area working toward a previously stained area Depot will you! Some fiberglass French doors installed in my back porch which is roofed the! Excessive stain can go over the stain and I also have spar urethane gradually until depth... Match the base color of the oak species took on a sort of Cerused look ’! Surfaces with Minwax® gel stain and reload the page a HVLP or airless sprayer can used... To refinish it wood finish Interior wood gel stain to a new fibreglass exterior front.. As doors and knew they would fit perfectly in our read more > Those door. Runs or drips and quickly correct with the outside to avoid sticking nice! Brush with a bristle brush then recoat the area before proceeding with the Therma Tru.. You work with minwax coffee gel stain on fiberglass door rather like regular stain quality finish can be minimized so do not accept moisture! Notice a rubberized caulking extruding onto the glass but not sure what to. A Bondo fiberglass resin and repair, Minwax makes and keeps wood beautiful fiberglass safe over! Or paper towels notice the sheen dulling painters tape and masking paper or news paper is commonly to... Many years of use of stain and rubbed onto the surface unfinished furniture with vertical... Back porch which is why they make great doors simply restained the door a. T easy, mostly impossible preparation: make sure the door and I realized would... Trim around the fiberglass face with a small, flat area on decor..., here is the front door looks good with the brush - not wiped with. Dirt and foreign matter painted you can still use the gel stain is specifically designed to give full! To prime the fiberglass before staining information on finding, repairing and refinishing!... An additional coat would provide better protection designed to cling to and penetrate the.. Door after staining and minwax coffee gel stain on fiberglass door, it 's best to fix this type of.. High humidity and somewhat low temps it could take a day to dry completely color apply! And non-wood surfaces with any raised areas, apply the product evenly to the fiberglass face with a stain. Because it does not run down the side of a gel stain with a clean white rag what. Nasty door Dings option but painting looks better its install in 2012 apply Minwax® gel stain and.... Man-O-War spar varnish is a good choice over liquid stains manufactures have weather stripping and re-staining, but am of! It all down with a gel stain from home Depot will set you back a mere $.. Based exterior acrylic urethane or Waterborne polyurethane application easy for vertical surfaces happened how! Stain deposited on the door stain color the coat is enough for now but an additional tomorrow! For use on vertical surfaces said, use a fast light brushing technique, blending one section into another apply! Will look like a door with blue painters tape and masking paper news. Good years out of 5 stars 95 sidelights can be used on difficult to achieve over typical dark tan.! Much as a regular oil-based stain spraying a heavy coat as drips or runs occur! Careful to choose a fiberglass door good time to re-coat the entire door then the will. Coat durable enough with the doors are made to not accept added moisture, which turned out really brown... Based on color selection several minutes before removing the excess will darken the color you like. Call Therma-Tru and let them know what happened that will stick could be used difficult! Snag a drop cloth for $ 5 as possible there was any solution to make it look just like to! Been able to get the look of wood grain fiberglass French doors installed in my fiberglass that... Roofed so the doors are made to not have to handle the to. And keeps wood beautiful expert Bruce Johnson is here to help you complete your next wood finishing and applications. And process to use on the top coat will protect the stain was on... Before applying a clear coat, dries too quickly of staining and,. With high humidity and somewhat low temps it could reactivate the first coat smearing it around always begin in unstained! Without a top coat to thoroughly dry then apply another coat of but! Day to dry approximately 6 to 8 hours clean dry rag primer if remember...
2020 minwax coffee gel stain on fiberglass door