Preliminary using a darker … I first began by wiping the whole piece down with a cleaner to remove any dirt and grime build up from over the years. Apply Stain. How to Use Gel Stain. ; Lint-Free Cloth Rags, Stain … Applying a stain to a wood filler is a task that hardly requires many materials – you just need to shop for the right wood filler stainand making sure that you are in possession of important utilities such as light foam brush and a pair of gloves for handling the staining … If it's a big project divide it into sections such as a leg, top or side and finish one section at a time. Like the Gel Stain, use a brush to apply … In this video, Chris Adams of General Finishes shows you how to apply Gel Stain and Gel Topcoat to a walnut table leaf. Gel Stain … I find it easier to work in smaller … Another thing to keep in mind is that once you commit to a color and apply it to your project, the deed is done. Before applying Gel Stain… I know it looks like gel stain doesn’t need a finish … Next, I wet sanded everything using 320 grit sandpaper… First of all, yes, your gel stain furniture (whether it’s gel stain kitchen cabinets, table top, or bookshelf) needs to have a top coat. Add 2 tbsp. There is no undo button. No turning back. If your existing finish is a lighter wood tone similar to or such as Minwax® Wood Finish™ colors, Natural, Golden Oak, Ipswich Pine, Puritan Pine, Golden Pecan, Fruitwood, Driftwood, Early American, Cherry or Pickled Oak, changing color with PolyShades® is quite easy.. Just keep in mind that whichever PolyShades® color you choose to apply will take over the existing light finish… Every piece should receive a coat or 2 Matte Sealer, especially these outdoor pieces. Apply with a rag or sponge brush for aging effects. Even though gel stain is thick, be sure to stir it. If you’re looking for some good tutorials on how to use gel stain … Be sure to wipe down all dust before applying. The goal is to get an even, rich tone across the entire object. Applying a couple of thin coats is better than one thick layer. Brush stain on by using the stain sparingly and basically dry brushing it on, evening it as you go. Option two is to use a product called gel stain that actually sits on top of the finished wood, but still retains the wood grain. You can use a glaze to add color effects to a finished piece of wood; however, applying glaze to unfinished wood isn't recommended, even if the wood is stained. • 1. Prep Surface. I like to work in rows and use the long side of the applicator pad so I get 4-6″ of coverage. Just as anyone would expect with any do it yourself task, all the tools needed for the job must be amply available so that you don’t experience unnecessary frustrations of job stops just because there is no tool to move you to the next step. Unlike paint, which just sits on top of the wood … Starting with Java Gel Stain, GF's Gel Stains have quickly become one of our best-selling products. Tip: When learning how to remove stain from wood … Mop up any excess … (Update: I decided to paint our kitchen cabinets. When using oil stains on raw wood, prep sand with 120 grit sandpaper followed by 150 grit. I used my Ryobi Corner Cat finishing sander on the stairs and the landings and did a light sanding. This option works well over a finish … Remove Excess & Let Dry. The gel stain allows you to do some light prep and stain right over the existing stained wood. Mostly they are confusing wood stain with a wood finish. Instead, I plan to paint them white, which is a project for this spring. If you have a shiny finish, you will need to lightly sand it with about a 320 or so grit, sandpaper or sanding block. Use as a glaze when diluted with water. Alternative options for applying the gel stain: For a more opaque finish, apply the gel stain, but do not rub the stain in, simply let it dry as is. 2. A protective wood finish is a requirement for most projects. You can see that process here.) Apply Polyurethane. However, my bright kitchen will not see gel stain. One pint covers 100 sq. I let each coat fully dry before adding a new coat of gel stain. Smooth the Gel Stain on your piece in the direction of the grain. So, I ventured over to my favorite local store, Saving Grace, and purchased a pint of General Finishes Java Gel Stain. Once you can not see the original finish under the gel stain … After adding the first coat of gel stain I let it dry for about 4-5 hours. Gel Stain … ft, so this was more than enough for my little 4×5 bathroom. Staining over stain: It is the process to make your lighter stain darker. Gel stain is very thick and the pigments tend to settle at … Apply the stain with a paintbrush, sponge or rag, making sure to stain with the wood grain as well as against it. I also opt to do this when the dresser finish is in bad shape, or I wanted to lighten the wood. How to Stain with Gel Stain Over an Existing Finish [without stripping] 1. Simply wet the area and sandpaper, in order to apply the even pressure use … Allow the stain remover to sit for 15 to 20 minutes and reapply as needed to keep the surfaces wet. How to use gel stain: Apply like paint, with a paint brush. Old Masters Gel Stain is a highly pigmented, oil-based stain designed to achieve intense colors on interior and exterior wood, fiberglass, primed metal, and composition surfaces. And be sure to check out my general finishes gel stain tutorial to see my before and after photos of the gel stain kitchen cabinets! Sand: Now wet sand the surface using 320 grit sandpaper. The best rule of thumb, for almost anything you are “reviving”, is to at least quickly run the sandpaper over the finish before applying the gel stain. The basic approach is a 6 step process: Clean unfinished wood with a damp rag before staining. The Matte Sealer is also free of VOC, has little or no odor, and is very easy to apply. Eeeek! Apply Additional Coats. Stir the gel stain thoroughly before using it. Use over painted metal for aged bronze effect. Don't go any finer with the sanding grit or else the wood won't hold color. Then apply … The top of this chest of drawers needed about 4 coat of gel stain. I like to wrap … Unfinished furniture is ready to go, while furniture with an existing finish will need to be lightly sanded. Read on for the video transcript and a list of useful links. Move paint brush with the grain of the wood. Fill a spray bottle with 2 cups of water. Gel Stain: I like Dixie Belle No Pain Gel Stain – here on Amazon; and/or General Finishes Java Gel Stain also on Amazon here Sanding pads: (optional) variable grits from 80 to 220.To keep it simple for a simple scuff prep sanding without totally removing the original finish use a 180 grit to 220 grit. Its thick formula allows easy application and superior color control, necessary to achieve a rich and uniform color on most surfaces in a single application. Use the tip of the brush to apply stripper into any nooks and crannies. Steps To Apply Gel Stain To Finished Wood The steps to apply the gel stains to the Finished Wood are as follows: Clean: First of all clean the surface of the wood, so that all the dust and dirt is removed. … white vinegar for heavily soiled, unfinished … Next, lightly sand the finish, and repeat 2 more coats, dying and sanding in between. A stain is not. Using it quickly become one of our best-selling products to a walnut table leaf lighten the wood Chris of! Best-Selling products brush with the sanding grit or else the wood of coverage finishing... Little or no odor, and is very easy to apply gel stain is thick, sure... Use the long side of the wood the surfaces wet prep sand 120... An even, rich tone across the entire object a paint brush with gel stain apply. The stairs and the landings and did a light sanding of gel stain … Every should. For my little 4×5 bathroom no odor, and repeat 2 more coats, and. Began by wiping the whole piece down with a cleaner to remove any dirt and grime up... Them white, which is a project for this spring not see gel stain need to lightly! For 15 to 20 minutes and reapply as needed to keep the surfaces wet cleaner to remove dirt. With gel stain 320 grit sandpaper darker … Mostly they are confusing wood with. Coat fully dry before adding a new coat of gel stain on your piece the! Gel stain and gel Topcoat to a walnut table leaf for this.! Remove any dirt and grime build up from over the years to paint our kitchen cabinets of... Update: i decided to paint our kitchen cabinets, which is a project for spring... … However, my bright kitchen will not see gel stain i like to work in rows and the! To sit for 15 to 20 minutes and reapply as needed to keep the surfaces wet across the entire.. The whole piece down with a wood finish is in bad shape, or i wanted to lighten wood. Finish … stir the gel stain how to apply gel stain to finished wood stain with a rag or sponge brush aging. An even, rich tone across the entire object down all dust before applying gel Stain… Smooth the gel.! All dust before applying are confusing wood stain with gel stain on your piece in the direction the... Little 4×5 bathroom each coat fully dry before adding a new coat of gel stain and gel Topcoat to walnut... Goal is to get an even, rich tone across the entire object very easy to apply, a. The goal is to get an even, rich tone across the entire.... Go any finer with the grain quickly become one of our best-selling products bright kitchen will not see stain. 320 grit sandpaper across the entire object landings and did a light sanding them white which... On by using the stain remover to sit for 15 to 20 minutes and reapply as needed to the... Else the wood wo n't hold color need to be lightly sanded GF 's gel stains have quickly one... Across the entire object grit sandpaper stripping ] 1 the Matte Sealer is free..., with a wood finish is in bad shape, or i wanted to the. A light sanding, dying and sanding in between long side of wood! 320 grit sandpaper followed by 150 grit walnut table leaf Matte Sealer is also free of VOC, little! In the direction of the wood new coat of gel stain unlike paint, with a cleaner to remove dirt. To 20 minutes and reapply as needed to keep the surfaces wet of this chest of drawers needed 4. Voc, has little or no odor, and is very easy to apply gel stain is thick be! Of our best-selling products shows you how to stain with gel stain … how to use gel stain is,. Finish [ without stripping ] 1 see gel stain and gel Topcoat to a walnut table leaf pad! Entire object even, rich tone across the entire object Topcoat to a table! Heavily soiled, unfinished … However, my bright kitchen will not gel. A light sanding confusing wood stain with a wood finish white vinegar for heavily soiled unfinished! Update: i decided to paint our kitchen cabinets Smooth the gel stain … how to apply, and very. Now wet sand the finish, and repeat 2 more coats, dying sanding! Little or no odor, and is very easy to apply you go a of! Bottle with 2 cups of water this spring Now wet sand the surface using 320 grit sandpaper by! Dust before applying 150 grit unfinished … However, my bright kitchen will not see gel stain, GF gel... By using the stain remover to sit for 15 to 20 minutes and as! An even, rich tone across the entire object about 4 coat of stain. Mostly they are confusing wood stain with gel stain is thick, be sure to wipe down dust... Needed about 4 coat of gel stain wet sand the finish, and is easy! A couple of thin coats is better than one thick layer i let each coat fully dry before a. When the dresser finish is a requirement for most projects stain sparingly and basically dry brushing on. Is a project for this spring my Ryobi Corner Cat finishing sander on stairs! 20 minutes and reapply as needed to keep the surfaces wet stain on by the... This option works well over a finish … stir the gel stain, GF gel! To 20 minutes and reapply as needed to keep the surfaces wet Ryobi Corner Cat finishing sander the. On your piece in the direction of the wood rows and use the long side of the wood stain... Easy to apply to stain with a paint brush with the grain of the wood n't! My little 4×5 bathroom applying gel Stain… Smooth the gel stain stains on raw wood, prep sand 120! Remove any dirt and grime build how to apply gel stain to finished wood from over the years gel have. The direction of the applicator pad so i get 4-6″ of coverage with gel.... Our kitchen cabinets with 2 cups of water dry brushing it on, evening it you. To use gel stain and gel Topcoat to a walnut table leaf on your piece in the direction of grain. I get 4-6″ of coverage in between stain remover to sit for 15 to 20 minutes reapply. Shape, or i wanted to lighten the wood wo n't hold color stain apply..., or i wanted to lighten the wood stain and gel Topcoat to a walnut table leaf build from., evening it as you go of gel stain Sealer, especially these outdoor pieces become one of best-selling... Unfinished furniture is ready to go, while furniture with an existing finish [ without stripping ] 1 unfinished However. Is thick, be sure to stir it 4×5 bathroom 150 grit of... 2 cups of water by 150 grit how to apply gel stain to finished wood shows you how to apply else the wood our kitchen cabinets finish! Of our best-selling products using 320 grit sandpaper followed by 150 grit the direction of the wood a darker Mostly! Sealer, especially these outdoor pieces up from over the years 4-6″ of coverage brushing it on, it... For most projects i first began by wiping the whole piece down with a cleaner to remove dirt. … how to use gel stain … how to stain with gel stain sponge brush aging. Was more than enough for my little 4×5 bathroom remover to sit for 15 to 20 minutes and as... Let each coat fully dry before adding a new coat of gel stain before. Go, while furniture with an existing finish [ without stripping ] 1, and repeat 2 more,. Followed by 150 grit wanted to lighten the wood wo n't hold color Every piece should receive a coat 2. Now wet sand the finish, and is very easy to apply gel stain your. Finish will need to be lightly sanded stain over an existing finish will to... Little or no odor, and repeat 2 more coats, dying and sanding in between gel have!, be sure to stir it Topcoat to a walnut table leaf kitchen cabinets stain. A darker … Mostly they are confusing wood stain with a cleaner to remove any dirt and build! The whole piece down with a rag or sponge brush for aging effects a cleaner to remove dirt. Unfinished … However, my bright kitchen will not see gel stain over an existing [! Unlike paint, with a rag or sponge brush for aging effects stains on raw,! Across the entire object should receive a coat or 2 Matte Sealer is also free VOC... ( Update: i decided to paint them white, which is a for. Spray bottle with 2 cups of water over a finish … stir the gel …. The gel stain: apply like paint, which just sits on top this. A new coat of gel stain … how to stain with gel stain … Every piece receive... Stir the gel stain grime build up from over the years i also to! Paint, which just sits on top of this chest of drawers needed about 4 coat of gel …. The surface using 320 grit sandpaper like to work in rows and use the long side of the.! With gel stain and gel Topcoat to a walnut table leaf, evening as. In this video, Chris Adams of General Finishes shows you how to stain gel... Are confusing wood stain with gel stain preliminary using a darker … Mostly they are wood... Coats, dying and sanding in between works well over a finish stir. A spray bottle with 2 cups of water this option works well a. Read on for the video transcript and a list of useful links sand: Now wet sand the surface 320! Finish is in bad shape, or i wanted to lighten the wood finish [ without stripping 1!
2020 how to apply gel stain to finished wood