It was absolutely grueling. I left it outside and it was no supposed to frost or dew but it did end up frosting. And oh wow, the one you found sounds like a treasure! Gel Stain Oak Cabinets Before And After Grey. So, I just sell whatever I create either myself on CL or through a consignment shop here and there. Oh gosh, can you possibly send me photo so I can see what happened? First of all, yes, your gel stain furniture (whether it’s gel stain kitchen cabinets, table top, or bookshelf) needs to have a top coat. Gel stains are not what you think of when you hear “stain.” They are thick, almost putty or pudding like. Honey oak cabinets to a gray stain gel staining kitchen cabinets our best tips for staining cabinets or gel stain 101 when and how to use it. It may be slightly noticeable but if you fit it well and smooth it out well before it dries (for minimal sanding), then you should be able to touch up that small area. Gel Stain Topcoat Options High Performance Topcoat. Gel stain, here I come. Shiny, well intact finishes will not play very nicely with gel stain or any stain, for that matter. Try a couple application methods. (test on the backside, inside or underside, if that is available to you). See it “before”, here >>> End Table Makeover, One of my absolute favorites from last year. • Casting gels can present hazards from chemical exposure and burns when heating. Gel Stain Cabinets Before And After. The blog is actually the main focus as it is quite time consuming! (unlike the other stain product I mentioned above, which completely lays on top). The best rule of thumb, for almost anything you are “reviving”, is to at least quickly run the sandpaper over the finish before applying … Woodworkers love the lustrous finish that shows up when rubbing out the 2nd and 3rd coats. Dry-Time to Recoat with Stain When "Wiping Off": 72 hours. Maybe have a sell every 3 mos or so? OH yes, that one was in much need of love! :) xoxo. But for me, if there are small repairs like that to be made, I use wood filler and then sand it smooth to match. You’ll want to see the magic it created on all of these beautiful finishes! I decided to test the stain and the paint on the pieces with a lead test kit and both were positive for lead! masuzi September 23, 2018. Please READ this very carefully – if you are going from a knob with two holes to one with a single hole, don’t do it. If you are applying to natural, unfinished wood, the prep would be the same as any traditional stain application. If you have a shiny finish, you will need to lightly sand it with about a 320 or so grit, sandpaper or sanding block. And yes, go do it!!! It is pudding-like unlike the liquid consistency of traditional stain and because of that is easier to control. Gel stain works on most surfaces from wooden to metal, and even painted surfaces can be gel stained. Check out the before and after pictures and learn how to refinish kitchen cabinets or any cabinetry or furniture your heart desires with this general finishes gel stain … ** Again, depending on the time of year, you may not need to wait as long. Benefits of gel stain and how to apply how to gel stain cabinets you diy gel stain cabinets no heavy bathroom cabinets with gel stain. As shown, in the photo above, on this plastic-coated surface, gel stains (left) hold a grain pattern better than thin-bodied stains (right) which spread after application.. As long as they are not too big and I can wrap them up in a box pretty simply! (but it was simple ;) ) Feb 17, 2017 - General finishes gel stain tutorial using antique walnut gel stain to refinish kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities in our first flip! If you missed it, I sponsored a giveaway here on the blog for my birthday last week. I am in the latter stages of staining a honey oak island using Mohawk "Finisher's Glaze" Glazing Stain. All Rights Reserved. Gel stain to the rescue. So I'm Doing a GIVEAWAY! I really want to try it to darken some orangey wood pieces in my home to darken the color, and also on an antique treadle sewing machine cabinet that just needs a refresh. Here are a few of the products I’ve mentioned (or are related) in this post: I hope this will help you with your next project! Solid wood drawers, inside and out. See what we used and the details here >>> DIY Wall Shelves, I actually removed the old finish on this one with Citristrip (so easy, this stuff!) 12 GEL STAIN FAQ’S. After it has started to cure, your best bet will be to remove the stain with a stripper, or sand it off. I have a new love, and it is gel stain. The putty was still visible after staining. Before we brought it into the house, I decided to try out my favorite fail-safe gel stain on the cabinet to see if I could bring the style into this decade. ADVERTISEMENT. It’s not necessary, however, but I like to use the wood conditioner because it helps things stay more even and if using something like Java Gel Stain, it will keep it from overpowering the piece with color. See it “before”, here >>> Antique Table Makeover, And the very latest project with gel stain…, A true labor of love! Photos for shun s kitchen yelp photos for shun s … Shuns Kitchen Albany Hours. Related Articles. I hope this will help you to learn how to use gel stain so you can use it on your projects too! "These little oak dressers are one of my favorites to renew! Love your projects so much, you have really inspired me to start doing wood furniture makeovers and perhaps even selling some to make extra money❤️. This post is timely. Uncategorized June 9, 2018 0 masuzi. "Pretty little antique oak dresser completely refinished using General Finishes Antique Walnut Gel Stain with a High Performance Flat Finish. Especially when you have a one year old living in the house. Oct 10, 2018 - General Finishes Java Gel Stain wipes on with a clean cloth and you're ensured of professional quality results without brush marks. Especially when you have a one year old living in the house. I would not refinish it, personally. I used a gel stain yesterday and did not end up wiping much off. More posts in the “back to basics” series: I’ll see you back here on Thursday with this brand new makeover! :) xo. Instructions. This is General Finishes Java Gel Stain, my go to stain. Your information will *never* be shared or sold to a 3rd party. It is different from traditional stain in many ways. Start off by cleaning and sanding the surface. It was in horrible condition finish wise and had a bum leg from numerous bad repairs. Well, when It’s warm enough to work in the garage, that is. Old cotton t-shirt or rag (for gel stain) General Finishes Java Gel Stain (or the color of your choice — but General Finishes is the best brand for sure!) The staircase was natural blonde oak. masuzi August 16, 2018. This is General Finishes Java Gel Stain, my go to stain. Prior to gel staining cabinets, I had a lot of experience working with regular wood stain, but I had never worked with gel stain. I have to say one more thing, a couple years ago, I completely sanded and refinished our stairs. lol. They are so beautiful! Because this is gel stain, you don’t have to sand like you would with regular stain. While gel stain does go on thick and sit on the surface of the wood, I found that you can still see and feel the natural wood grain beneath, unlike paint. "I started working on this buffet over 2 years ago. (I knew old paint contained lead but did not know old stain did too). Refinished with @generalfinishes Antique Walnut stain and Lamp Black paint. Check out the tutorial with 11 simple steps for the perfect gel stain finish on kitchen cabinets! I also had old oak cabinets with a veneer side. We decided to install a backsplash to update it a bit. 1. 2. If you have a shiny finish, you will need to lightly sand it with about a 320 or so grit, sandpaper or sanding block. What kind of top coat can I use with gel stain? "This was an engineered floor which could not be sanded. It was a massive, dirty pain in my side for three weeks. ), Gel Stain Cabinet Makeover (such a simple fix! You can easily and quickly update old, worn furniture. It truly is appreciated! Benefits Of Gel Stain And How To Apply It Diy Network Blog How To Gel Stain Cabinets You Diy Gel Stain Cabinets No Heavy Sanding Or Stripping Maison Renovate Your Kitchen … I really liked the look I gave it with the paint brush and only wiping away in some areas. This one got all kinds of gel stain love. See how the top just shines now compared to what it looked like before, here >>> French Round Table Makeover, I made this paper towel roll holder out of a pipe and a wood medallion. The worst scenario is destroying poly’s bonding ability. Be sure to let it cure before applying a topcoat. The best way to get a feel for this type of stain and application is to practice applying it on a scrap piece of wood before you begin your project. I have used a black gel stain on a mid-century side table that sustained a very small chip to the top wood layer at a top corner that is just big enough and located such that it will be noticeable if it is simple re-stained. masuzi August 16, 2018. You can use a staining … idea. […] that unlike its liquid-like counterparts, the stain doesn’t “sink in” to the wood. This flooring Before and After was completed by Scott Viers atwww.cabinetrefresh.com using General Finishes products! I’m continuing on the “back to basics” series that I’ve been working on and today it’s “How To Use Gel Stain“. See it “before” here >>> Side Table Makeover, And as an example of just how dark Java Gel can be on natural wood. How they began and what this product did for them. Check out the before and after pictures and learn how to refinish kitchen cabinets or any cabinetry or furniture your heart desires with this general finishes gel stain … Will give it a go and carefully shape the filler before re-staining with gel. Available at Woodcraft & Rocklers stores - other locations on store locator at http://www.generalfinishes.com/where-buy. This is one coat, I might add another coat, but I know once I put the satin topcoat on then it will get richer." Her instructions for using Gel Stain seemed so much easier than the way I was going to do the project. As I worked, I realized the table was perfect the way it was, partially sanded and sealed, kept a little antique rustic, while the top and sides were completely sanded and refinished in General Finishes Antique Walnut Gel Stain. ), Spring Decorating Ideas (that brighten up your space!!) As far as stripping, I don’t really have any advice for the lead based stuff as I don’t really deal with that. I did the kitchen and bathroom cabinetry with general finishes gel stain in antique walnut.. check out the before and after pictures on my blog as well as the full tutorial! As long as you wait 72 hours before applying the top coat, you can apply a water based top coat on top of the oil based gel stain. NOT the first impression I ever wanted ... Updating a Stairway With Chalk Paint | Portilla Design. General Finishes gel stain is a heavy-bodied stain so it doesn’t penetrate wood as deep as the other oil-based stains. My question is, I left it on in a thicker coat the way I wanted it to cure and look. I find it easier to work in smaller sections rather than apply the gel stain to the entire piece all at once. Do be sure to wear gloves because the stain will get all over your hands. and then applied the stain. You can see where the putty went. I mainly use this product for refreshing old finishes so most of this “how-to” post will speak to that. See it “before”, here >>> $20 ReStore Dresser Makeover, It’s amazing stuff, I tell ya!! But one big rule of thumb I try to follow on anything old though, is to not create dust, if possible. Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane in Clear Satin (for protecting the gel stain) Primer (for the trim — optional — … You’ll want to see the magic it created on all of these beautiful finishes! Stain Application: Using a high quality natural bristle brush, spread a thin, even coat over the entire surface, starting with the raised panel sections. And be sure to check out my general finishes gel stain tutorial to see my before and after photos of the gel stain kitchen cabinets! Zar products are made by UGL (800/845-5227). xo. ). Just be sure the wood filler you get is stainable. Always make final brush strokes in the direction of the embossed grain. And then the after with the gray walls (SW Amazing gray), java gel stain, and repainted spindles. But the cabinets were still not my style. :) xoxo. If you are using it to darken, or simply refresh a finish, then use a cotton rag to apply and then wipe away some of the excesses. I was wondering whether gel stain would work on it, but after reading this I think it’s worth a try. Hi Helene! Always works great! The first experience I had using Gel Stain was August 2018 when I made these new tabletops for 2 metal bases that we already had. Required fields are marked *. Since it mostly lies on the surface with less penetration than traditional stain, it’s a little more predictable and produces a more even color. >>> “How To Restain Wood Without Stripping”. Cass says. If you have not seen them CLICK HERE! Where to begin? Gel Stain Cabinets Before And After. If you don’t like the look, you can remove gel stain with mineral spirits before it dries and starts to cure. And you’ve got the right (and smart!) As I mentioned before I used *General Finishes Gel Stain in “Java”. How do i get this off without having to redo the whole table? Love Paint? People like them particularly for vertical surfaces since they hold better and don't really drip like a traditional stain. Gel Stain Oak Cabinets Before And After Grey. The best part of this project was that I did not have to remove the door so I was not in a rush to get my front door back on the hinges before nighttime. Benefits of gel stain and how to apply how to gel stain cabinets you diy gel stain cabinets no heavy bathroom cabinets with gel stain. However, it is Godzilla size and needs new feet and some Bondo magic. Imagine the money and following you could have locally. ;) I love it but it does take up much of my time with all of the day to day running of it. Gorgeous desk in General Finishes Seagull Gray Milk Paint and Ash Gray Gel Stain. Apply liberally, gently wipe away the excess. It’s much easier and faster than using a brush. I had just been introduced to Gel Stain from A Makers’ Studio and I decided to try it. It was sanded down and stained in Nutmeg by General Finishes. The stain will probably get mixed up with the poly. A week or so ago I shared another great product for updating old wood. Honey oak cabinets to a gray stain gel staining kitchen cabinets our best tips for staining cabinets or gel stain 101 when and how to use it. Next Article . Do you have any personal experience with filling and smoothing a blemish like this and using gel stain on top of the filler? Turned out great! You can send it to nancy @ artsychicksrule dot com, and I’ll do my best to help you! New modern farmhouse iron hardware and ticking stripe drawer liners complete this transformation and have given this beauty a second life! Always allow more dry time when applying oil-based products over an existing finish. So I had to paint those areas in this burnt orange color to match my living room rug. Before and After on the Java gel stain makeover. Gel Stain Oak Cabinets Before And After Grey. Basket Makeover For Spring (with water based stain). Our best tips for staining cabinets or refinishing golden honey oak cabinets how to stain oak cabinets gel stain 101 when and how to use it. It’s hard to say though, without seeing the chips, where they are, how big, etc. Adding a patina look to country projects. This is my favorite way to use a gel stain. (with 2 different colors) 5. Benefits of gel stain and how to apply diy gel stain cabinets no heavy how to gel stain cabinets with ease gel stain kitchen cabinet makeover. Acrylamide and Agarose Gels and Stains SOP . The piece was sealed for lasting protection. Oh yes, I do sell a lot of what I create here for the blog but it’s not my main business focus. Quite honestly, I’ve not had to do very much prep for any piece I’ve done before using it. Thank you soooo much for this post! Reply. Someone even sent me pictures of how they refinished their wooden front door, if you’re looking for that type of inspiration. Uncategorized June 9, 2018 0 masuzi. So, for the first part of this post, I’ll go over tips of use, best practices, topcoats, and just basically how to use gel stain, etc. Is Polyshades the product “that sits on top”? And a 2 step dry brushing effect. Make sure you let the surface dry completely before starting with the gel stain. ** It states to use a cloth, but instead of a cloth, she used a brush because the cloth was too messy and made it harder to apply the stain evenly. This may feel a little bit like spreading thick ketchup and will appear very uneven, which is fin… I took a shot at it: cleaned, mopped with a little Early American Waterbased Wood Stain mixed with Clear Poly Flat, finished with Clear Poly flat with Crosslinker...turned out beautiful!" Below is a before and after of the gel stain used on the bathroom vanity. Beautiful dresser in Antique Walnut Gel Stain and Blue Moon Milk Paint. If you have a very shiny surface, this stain is going to sit right on top and not really do very much good. Wait 48 hours before applying the next coat. Your email address will not be published. It’s hard to say without seeing it. I have used and love that one too. 0 0 Less than a minute. "This is one amazing dresser. Before and After Java Gel Stain; Before and After Java Gel Stain. I experimented with the GF Gel Stain and also found that before I got an even finish it got too dark. It is a liile more liquid than the gel stain, but similar in concentration. Gel Stains produce a durable and beautiful "hand-rubbed" finish and are heavy-bodied- very easy to apply. It’s hard for me to say exactly without seeing it though. Between the gel stain on the vanity and the new mirror, this bathroom had left its aging past behind. That meant I had to be extra extra careful when I sanded so I didn’t go through the veneer and ruin the chances of staining the beautiful top. I took a shot at it: cleaned, mopped with a little Early American Waterbased Wood Stain mixed with Clear Poly Flat, finished with Clear Poly flat with Crosslinker...turned out beautiful!" Stir Minwax® Gel Stain until creamy before use and occasionally during use. You can apply it with a natural bristle brush, foam brush or cotton rag (this last one being my favorite way). ( I have and shared those projects further down) Once the stain is completely dry, apply a gel stain top coat to lock in the color and protect the finish. If the stained finish is still tacky, wait another day or so to apply the poly. Gel stain will … I ordered a can of General Finishes gel stain a while back but have been rather intimidated to use it. Whew! Painted in a mix of General Finishes Persimmon and Lamp Black Milk…, Georgian Cherry Desk | General Finishes Design Center. Hop on over to see how I used this stain raw wood for this one, here >>> Industrial Style Paper Towel Holder, You won’t believe what this one looked like before! 0 1 Less than a minute. General finishes gel stain tutorial using antique walnut gel stain to refinish kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities in our first flip! Sand the door well using a palm sander. I like to work in rows and use the long side of the applicator pad so I get 4-6″ of coverage. Be sure to pull the stain away from the edges where it will pool, etc., otherwise, it will look darker in those areas. Woodworkers love the lustrous finish that shows up when rubbing out the 2nd and 3rd coats. Dated and dreadful. See what it looked like “before”, here >>> Giverny Dresser Makeover, This is another one that I used Citristrip on first. It’s recommended to let the gel stain dry for 72 hours before top-coating so I haven’t top coated these doors yet because I wanted to get the post out to you. I love the results you achieved with gel stain. ), « Rustoleum Chalked Paint Serenity Blue (antique table makeover! The funny thing is that I think we ended up with a piece that leans toward mid-century modern. Better right? Dandk Organizer 2 years ago No Comments. Here's what you need to know before you start a gel stain project! I experimented with the GF Gel Stain and also found that before I got an even finish it got too dark. You know it’s quality when the wood in a drawer is gorgeous! "This was an engineered floor which could not be sanded. It is a liile more liquid than the gel stain, but similar in concentration. Make sure ALL exposed areas such as: hardwood floors, carpet, in between spindles, etc…..are covered with something. The stain is an oil based stain and oil and water don’t mix well, so it’s incredibly important to allow it to fully dry. Here are General Finishes recommended dry times for applying multiple coats of Gel Stain and Gel Topcoat over an existing finish. Apply sparingly. Serial 1:2 dilutions of hemoglobin (starting quantity, 80 ng), with 1.8 µg of BSA/lane as a carrier (top band), were electrophoretically separated on a 4–20% 26-well Criterion Stain Free Gel. Learn more about how to stain wood darker with gel stain here! Plus Get My FREE eBook "Creating Fabulous Finishes"! How to Stain a Dresser Darker – Super Dark Method . The gel stain has a consistency similar to pudding. ONE photo may be used, provided that FULL AND CLEAR CREDIT is given to Artsy Chicks Rule® with appropriate and specific direction and link back to the original content. After 30+ hours of intense labor, it is done. Love paint? It was a massive, dirty pain in my side for three weeks. By admin | May 23, 2016. Refinishing Golden Honey Oak Cabinets To A Gray Stain It's My Birthday! That is the appeal to me with gel stain. Ladies and gentlemen, friends and fans, we are proud to announce the rebirth of our foyer. Gel Stains produce a durable and beautiful "hand-rubbed" finish and are heavy-bodied- very easy to apply. The good thing is you have lots of options when it comes to a top coat for your gel stain project. Use dropcloths, plastic, old sheets, etc….but make sure nothing is … Smooth the Gel Stain on your piece in the direction of the grain. Instructions. (unless that very dark shade is what you are after), It’s always best to test your chosen stain color on the wood you are using, if possible. If you are applying it in layers, and not wiping away, you will want to apply it similarly to how you would apply a poly product. Hi Nancy! As a result, your poly will take the longest time to settle, sometimes even worse. I typically paint over that but you can buy stain-able wood filler too. It took about 4 passes of wiping off the stain with a clean area on the staining pad to get all of the excess stain removed. Benefits of gel stain and how to apply it diy network blog gel stain kitchen cabinet before after black cabinets with white kitchen remodel before and after faux finish on the diy mamas kitchen makeover gel stain backsplash hardware. ...an east coast girl who loves to find and re-invent old treasures, decorate and design rooms without spending a fortune....but have it look as if you did! First, I must explain the problem. Gel-based stains are the newest entrants in the market. Isn’t that the sweetest?! I waited 30 minutes to make sure any of the moisture in the piece was dry before I began staining. I know that stripping and sanding a piece does take that extra time, but I absolutely love a stained top. That one is a stain and poly in one type of product, and you can find out all about that method of updating old wood, here. You are so welcome!! You can use up to 3 coats of poly, depending on how much use and abuse your piece will get. That may be far too much with your family duties but you could make a small fortunate and take on consignment things. I know it looks like gel stain doesn’t need a finish coat but it does! 0 0 Less than a minute. Be sure you don’t wipe too hard to remove all the stain you just applied. I found a beautiful old chest that was going to be thrown out of a building that is being renovated and could not let it be destroyed. Learn how your comment data is processed. Hop over to see more, here >>> DIY Built In Bookcase, Dining room shelves we made and used this stain on. - Just a Touch of Paint Check out GF's full video library for product overview and how-to videos at http://bit.ly/GFHowToFinishVideos, "This antique parlor table was saved from the garbage and given to me. ……………………………………………………………………………………………………….. Before and After Java Gel Stain "Look at that wood grain! How To Stain Banisters Dark With Java Gel STEP ONE: SET UP DROPCLOTHS AND PAINTERS TAPE. (you don’t want to wipe in the same way you wipe traditional stain). ", "Refinished walnut nightstand This piece is in beautiful vintage condition. ❤️ As I thought about what color to paint the base, I started sanding as part of the prep before painting. With this type of stain, you don’t want to apply too thickly. Here are a few of the projects I’ve used gel stain on so you can take a look at each. Want tips, ideas, inspiration & more?? Finished off with General Finishes Arm-R-Seal in Satin.". Sort of. Woodworking Question: In watching TV shows and reading woodworking articles, people talk about applying shellac to a project, then stain, then a protective coat. 4. Images of the gel, before and after transfer, and of the membrane after transfer were taken using a stain-free enabled imager. Hi Kathy, The gel stain will work great on those pieces you have! A Little Gel Stain Background. You can apply a water-based topcoat over this oil-based stain but it MUST be 100% dry! Show us what you have done with General Finishes Gel Stains - www.GeneralFinishes.com - the stain with the most "finishing feel" of all our products. It doesn’t sink into the wood like traditional stain does, but it does soak in somewhat. Gel stain is so simple to use and you can do just … General Finishes Gel Stains - top to bottom, left to right Antique Walnut, Brown Mahogany, Java Gray, Black, Candlelite The right side of each board is one coat wiped back, the left side is multiple coats for a more opaque look. ", "I love a good before and after, don’t you?! This piece is solid wood with dove-tail drawers! What is your recommendation for repairing the chips and details on a piece? Let's get organized! Refinish Outdoor Wood Furniture (easy with stain! Sand the door well using a palm sander. The quart that I bought to finish the project was $27.50 (with shipping). Then I’ll share links to 10+ projects I’ve done using gel stain. (I’ve linked them all at the bottom of this post in case you missed any of the series), But first…..we have a WINNER! With the oak cabinets, the grain was very evident post-staining. You can mix the different colors to come up with a color that is a better fit for your project than what is available. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Use a clean rag or brush to apply a generous layer to the surface being stained. After you have done a thorough cleaning on your cabinets, make sure that you allow them to dry for a bit before you apply gel stain as the excess moisture may not allow the gel stain to adhere. Want more tips, ideas & inspiration? My client’s brother made this for her back when he was in high school and she’s kept it all these years. That’s always a win in my book. Applying a deck stain and sealer with high quality is absolute of no use if you don’t let it adequately dry. See it “before”, here >>> Press Back Chair Makeover, Another one that was a totally different color before I began. Yes. How does gel stain compare to traditional wood stains? I like to use High Performance Top Coat (water-based) over this stain. I am in the latter stages of staining a honey oak island using Mohawk "Finisher's Glaze" Glazing Stain. Breath New Life into Your Furniture with this Gel Stain Furniture DIY! The wood doesn’t absorb the gel stain like it does the liquid stains, giving it some color without covering up all the […], Your email address will not be published. The idea behind a gel stain is to spread it onto the wood in a thick layer for a few minutes and then wipe it off with a clean cloth. Do you take any special precautions when stripping old furniture? Benefits Of Gel Stain And How To Apply It Diy Network Blog I am thrilled this is helpful and inspiring to you. I have to say, gel stain is probably my favorite, though. ), $8 Ladder Back Chair Makeover (simple wood update! Things I love and use around here so you guys can try them out and I may even give away a few of the things I make and share here on the blog.
2020 gel stain before and after