I’m glad you found the article helpful. Hi Brendan. It would take some time to dig out the settings for each shot. This should give you a good white balance. First of all, you should be shooting in RAW format. Don’t get too caught up on the story just yet. For example, you want to raise the exposure by 1 full stop of light. It’s the one of the trinity which has the greatest effect on the look of the photograph, but it’s not all about the Aperture. Get a starting point for your camera settings based on where you usually shoot and the light you have to work with. If you have any questions or subjects I can share my 2 pence worth on, do let me know, always here to help. Shoot every single day until you begin to understand how you can achieve the look you want and how much it can vary. To some degree, the angle of the light depends on the food you are photographing, but it’s also important to … Shutter speed deals with how slow or fast your shutter opens and closes. Editing food photography is important and it should be done right. Learn how your comment data is processed. To do this you need to balance each of the three elements above, that’s the aperture, the ISO and the shutter speed. You also have to remember, if your lens does go wider than f4 and you open it up, the depth of field is going to become shallower and effect your image. You don’t have a tripod so you’ll be hand holding, this means you won’t want your shutter speed to be less than (slower than) 1/60 sec, which I believe to be about the lowest most people can hand hold and still get a sharp picture. Before we jump into all of the fancy pants food photography stuff, I need to know everyone knows the basics of operating a camera in manual mode. For food photography you will be using a slower shutter speed a lot of the time as your food isn’t moving…duh! You will need to repeat this if the light should change or you move location. From mouth-watering plates pictured in the pages of magazines to scrumptious dishes photographed close-up for cookbooks, food photography is the styling and documenting of great food for advertorial or editorial purposes. I mention it moving because if you were to take the shot with a longer exposure and the food was moving, you’d end up with that moving food being all blurred. It’s also a creative outlet and a fun way to play with colour and express your own style. Sometimes understanding a concept is like pushing a bedspread through a small letterbox. So far you’ve got a low ISO and if you want the blurred background, you’ve also got a nice wide aperture. Food Photography Tip #5: Use a Neutral Background The purpose of using a neutral background is that so it can highlight the vivid colors of your food plate. A higher ISO is more sensitive to light whilst a lower ISO is less sensitive to light. A wider aperture such as f/2, has a much shallower depth of field which means that only a small amount of the shot will be in focus and anything at a different depth, whether that’s before the subject or after the subject will be blurred. Then go back to the starting settings and use the last of the three, until it’s the exposure you want. Plating your dish properly can elevate it from mundane to extraordinary. Neither the camera or the subject are moving. You often see a wider aperture used in portrait photography. Conversely, you may use a slower shutter speed when your subject isn’t in motion or when shooting in low light conditions. My email is masoud01@icloud.com You often see narrower apertures used in landscape photography where the photographer wants the majority of the shot to be clear. But to say that one set of camera settings is perfect for all of your food photographs would be a lie. It is important to understand your camera settings in order to come up with the best image possible. Now take a look, is it too bright or too dark? So here’s a simple step by step process for you to follow to get the best food photography camera settings for the shot you want to achieve. Less light = Slower shutter speed. ISO. RAW gives you greater flexibility in post processing and makes it easier to make any adjustments that need to be made including white balance.  So where do you focus? The key is to make the food look yummy but realistic. If not let me know in the comments and I’ll write a post on them. JT, Hi thank you for your article, it was very helpful to me. Whereas in the narrower aperture shot, everything is in focus regardless of depth. This is more about using the dark colours of the food and its background and surroundings in combination with natural window lighting such as in the example below. JT, Thank you so much for this. Lets also say you have nice window light and plenty of it. The best kind of light for food photography is soft, diffused, natural daylight. 50 Food Presets Bundle. In most cases, directional light (coming from one direction) will look best. I’m the same. Take the ISO from 200 to 400. Commercial food photography, advertising food photography, product photography, editorial, magazines, cookbooks, publishing & food packaging. Sincerely The result should be a perfectly exposed image with your subject in focus and an awesome blurred background, oh and the quality should be great too. If it’s still not the exposure you want, change the same one of the trinity until you get the exposure you want. Pop over to my post on where to focus in your food photography where I go through this. : I’ve published a new post Manual Mode for Beginners that is something you should definitely check out. The most common aperture setting for food photography is Av mode, which automatically adjusts shutter speeds to find the ideal light for your subject. I have been working with food for 40 years and just started getting my brain around photos, videos, food styling and wordpress. Have a great week Another major consideration for food photography lighting setup is the angle of the light. It could be as simple as… “There once was a plum call Patricia, and she had a spicy love affair with Bertie the Tahitian Vanilla Bean” The point is, before we can tell the story of Patricia and Bertie we need to know, is it a dark and fiery entwinement or is it innocent summer love and friendship in Tuscany. I have always craved for making good dishes and capturing them even more beautiful. Food photography is similar to still life photography, and using the rule of thirds can “make all of your photos instantly look better,” according to photographer Derek Boyd. The need for a tripod only increases with your megapixel count; so if you’re shooting on a Nikon D810, Canon 5DSR, or Sony A7RII, the extra detail these sensors provide will make it more difficult to avoid blurry images.. Vanguard Alta Pro – $169.99; Manfrotto Lateral Arm – $98.99 So how do I know what camera settings to use my food photography, I hear you ask! Shutter Speed: If it gets too slow your pictures will become blurred without the use of a tripod. Thank you for this great explanation of the trinity, it’s the best article I’ve read on this and helped my understanding enormously. So just to clarify, there are perfect food photography camera settings depending on what you want to achieve. Camera. As always, I’d love to hear from you if you have any questions or you just want to say hi. This is also the time to get your composition right. Photo by Evgeny Tchebotarev Camera settings for food photography To make your food images as bright as possible, make sure you’ve taken care of the manual mode camera settings: shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. Which, although the correct answer, probably isn’t the answer you were hoping for. Therefore the most likely candidate for change in the yummy trinity is the…..? It … I hear you all shout out together 🙂. The shutter speed is an important aspect in food photography as it is what will allow you to work at lower ISOs. You see the photo exposure is a combination of the yummy trinity of photographic flavours. The food industry is huge, so the photography of foods should be really professional and unique. Using manual mode for food photography will allow you to manipulate every aspect of exposure so that you can achieve what you’ve got in mind for your food photos, giving you ultimate creative control. bear in mind that this lets in much more light, something to remember for when you’re adjusting your shutter speed. It shouldn't appear artificial. Whilst a narrower aperture such as f/22, will have a much deeper or larger depth of field and much more of the shot will be in focus regardless of the depth. Aperture: Most of the restrictions with your aperture is often the maximum capability of the lens. All these camera settings will create the same exposure but the look will change regarding the depth of field. Good luck with all your new skills, it’s going to be so satisfying feeling yourself grow in new experiences. All of which are required, in some amount, to create a photographic exposure. Here’s some examples to show you what I mean. Your lens may not go wider than f4 and be maxed out, so that’s going to stay put. A good lighting set up, results in a perfect looking image. Food photography is basically product photography. So there you have it, the best food photography camera settings for whatever you want to achieve. Choosing to use a cluttered and very colored background will actually steal the focus from your food and will make it … Now you need to change the recipe for your exposure to get a different result. With DIY Food Photography, you'll be taking better photos of your food in just an hour.. Every lesson is hands on, and shows you how to use resources right in your home to create delicious, mouth-watering images. You simply take a picture of your grey card in the position your food would be in and then navigate to your camera’s custom white balance option and select the photo you just took of the grey card. Food photography using your iPhone, is generally the same as with any other camera. However, in most cases, you should avoid shooting in bright sun as it can cause exposure problems and cast harsh shadows on your subject. I am finally starting to understand my camera and your article is really helpful. Faster shutter speeds mean less light is able to get in, leaving you with a darker photograph. The aperture is the opening in your camera lens that allows light to hit the camera sensor. Say you were going for a dark and decadent look for your food photography, you wouldn’t use the same settings as you would for a light and airy shot. Once upon a time, ISO referred to the speed of a roll of film. You’d use a fast shutter speed when you want to capture some action or anything in motion. While you don’t need to have a ton of food photography props, I recommend that you at least have a few place settings and utensils, as well as a nice surface to photograph on. These create a more appetizing look, and the food should certainly be plumped up, propped up, pinned in place, and rearranged as necessary to give the appearance of fullness and richness. It appears as an f-stop or number on you camera’s screen, for example f/5.6 or f/22. Safari Photography Equipment : An Ultimate Guide, How to Photograph Cakes the Right Way – An Ultimate Guide. Use this guide and experiment with the different settings to see what interesting results you can come up with. Just take a picture of your grey card next to the food and in a post processing software such as Lightroom, adjust the white balance to you’re liking and you can apply those settings to all of the photos you took in that location, this can save you a lot of time. First up, your’re going to need a grey card, something like this will do. Required fields are marked *. Watch how I shoot iPhone food photography, from the camera settings, to working with natural and artificial lights. You need to raise the ISO, making the camera more sensitive to the light. The opposite is true for slow shutter speeds. Some of my shots here are using natural window light and others using speedlites in a softbox. Try and keep your ISO setting as low as possible, so ISO 200 and below if you can. Your email address will not be published. Depending on your camera, it may become a problem with a small increase (up to around 800) or a larger one (up to around 2000) Higher ISO setting bring noise to the image files, like a digital grain. This is important to remember when it comes to adjusting your shutter speed later on. I personally have an iPhone and I believe it is a powerful camera. To avoid this either widen your aperture if you haven’t already to allow more light in. Edit photos to look professional with these apps for food photography. You need to have an idea or picture in your head of what the final photograph is going to look like. Would you pls share me the trinity setting of each food photo that you put in the above article. The first step before you can even start messing with any settings is to determine what kind of shot you want to achieve. All these things not only effect your choice of exposure but the styling and way you approach the shoot. But if you want more of the photo to be in focus, then you’ll want to use a narrower aperture at around f/16 to f/22, and remember this lets in much less light. Maybe there’s a look you’re going for, but that simply means you need to come up with an exposure recipe that fits the look you want. ISO!!!! Spraying your food with water droplets or brushing it with oil, using natural light, and bouncing that light around to fill in shadows are key food photography tips. I suppose, if I were being a smarty pants, I’d say, the camera setting which give you the exposure you’re trying to achieve, using the equipment you have, in the conditions you’re shooting. It’s been just over a year now since I posted my first recipe on B.Britnell. They might even draw a quick sketch of the complete vision they have in mind for the photo, drawing where every single chocolate chip will land or the exact angle a plate will be placed … Learn more.Â. There may be times that you want more of the shot in focus but for the most part the wider apertures are what you’ll want to be using. The higher the f number the deeper the depth of field will be (more in focus), the lower, the shallower (less in focus). Lower f-numbers eg. When you shoot at a higher ISO, you add a graininess to the image called noise, this isn’t very attractive and can ruin a shot. Any questions about how to achieve a certain result? The general principle is to use or create a very large light source (i.e. If you don’t want to use a tripod or don’t plan on doing food photography regularly then you could get away with positioning your camera on something. This is before you even sharpen your chefs knife and open the can of beans. But before you decide to just leave, let me explain why. The most popular food photography trick is making the dishes look realistic. Dark Food Photography – a growing trend in some food photography is to go the low light style and a dark setting. You need to create a proper atmosphere in the shot so that viewers believe they can sit at the table right now and enjoy the meal. Your goal when it comes to food photography camera settings, is to get the perfect level of exposure. Hey Catherine, you just made my week. You can adjust two of the trinity to get the exposure you want. Plus dive into editing the photos and the tools I use to get the look I want. With a tripod, it doesn’t really matter how slow it is. Frequency 1 post / month Blog news.jackiealpers.com Facebook fans 534 ⋅ Twitter followers 1K ⋅ Social Engagement 1 ⋅ Domain Authority 35 ⋅ View Latest Posts ⋅ Get Email Contact. You can always crop in and edit … That’s all for now, see you back here very soon. I’ve learned SO so much in that time and sometimes can’t believe how far my photography has come. You may get ⅓ of a stop from your aperture and then ⅔ of a stop from your ISO. This is a really nice effect that helps your subject to pop out as you’ll have the crystal clear subject set against and blurred or bokeh backdrop. Hi and thank you for a great explanation. What camera settings should I use? Where many kit lenses have a maximum aperture of f4-5.6. Have a great weekend and if you have any questions, do drop me a line. Let’s get started with this introduction to food photography! Food photography is one of the best types of photography of all time. Otherwise known as Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO. So lets learn a little more about them and the effects they have on your food photography. As you can see from the graphic above, with the wider aperture, only a small proportion of the image is in focus at that specific depth. f3.5, ISO 400, 1/80. Depth of field is how much of the shot is in focus at different depths. Based on this scenario, two things are crucial to getting the exposure you’d like and the picture you want. Thanks for stopping by. The shutter speed is pretty self explanatory and refers to the amount of time that the camera’s sensor is exposed to the light or in other words, how long the shutter stays open for. Choosing a camera for food photography isn’t a quick process if you are among those photographers who are used to look through the camera’s specs before buying it. Now you all know what each of the yummy trinity are and what they do… Right? The point is though, my settings aren’t relevant to your photography. It might not be one-hundred-percent realistic, but it can give a candid and honest feel that has become popular in food photography in recent years. With these tips, you will greatly improve your food photography and tell better stories. Ultimately, aperture will control the depth of field. If you want that nice blurred, bokek effect background that helps your subject to really pop, then you’ll want to set your aperture on the wider side somewhere between f/2 to f/5.6. Basic light set ups can be used for food photography. Most food photography is done in a studio. The shutter speed is an important aspect in food photography as it is what will allow you to work at lower ISOs. Hello and Thanks! If you’re looking for a magic formula, you’ve come to the wrong industry. So you’ll probably be using an ISO between 100 & 400. Food Lightroom Presets Vol. Does that make sense? Keeping composition tools like this in mind can quickly make your food photography shoot more successful. But if you can get the white balance as near as possible to perfect whilst you are shooting, the better. A lower f-stop, say f/2, is a much wider opening in your lens and will allow in much more light than a narrower aperture such as f/22, which will let in far less light. More expensive lens sometimes referred to as “fast glass” go to f1.2. You take the first shot, for example, f4, 1/60, ISO 200 and the exposure is darker than you want. You’ve styled your scene based on the story and image orientation. It's much more commonly used in food photography than Tv mode. How to Edit Food Photography in Photoshop. This is where things may get slightly confusing! You will want to also consider the wider open the lens (or lower f-number) you are using, may give you a depth of field which is too shallow for what you want. With a few editing apps, I can get my food photos to look mouthwatering, … For food, you want sharp detail shots, and the lower the ISO the crisper the image. [Update!! So happy you understood this. Sometimes this may call for a high key or a low key lighting effect, but usually the goal is a natural, but very detailed look. When the time elapsed is a second or more, it is written as 1″ or the number of seconds followed by a double prime or quotation marks. Know Food. We've all seen those food images where somehow the universe has aligned to shine the perfect beam of light on a beautifully styled recipe. As a food photographer, I’m often asked for tips about how to take great photos. Or increase your ISO setting so that the sensor is more sensitive to the light available. The key is that whatever garnishes you choose, they must make sense within the wider context of your scene. All these camera settings will create the same exposure but the look will change regarding the depth of field. Subscribe to the We Eat Together YouTube channel for more great food photography tips and tutorials! You want to make the food as appealing in appearance as possible. As such, a high ISO doesn’t need to be exposed to the light for long to get the shot, on the other hand a low ISO would have to be exposed to the the light for longer to get the same level of exposure. Attract clients with a food photography portfolio that highlights exactly who you are as a food photographer. Find the post HERE.]. The art of food photography is a precise one as well, requiring understanding of spacing, distance, color, and focus. Your shutter speed probably shouldn’t be slowed any more because you’re hand held, so that stays put. Now you know how this affects the shot. Required fields are marked *. The designer recommends them for restaurants, cafes, coffee shops, and bars. So a shutter speed is an important aspect in food photography than Tv mode as possible, ISO... Yummy but realistic me a line perfect looking image is what will allow you to work at lower.!  “ of a story to tell a combination of the yummy trinity and! Must make sense within the wider context of your food but also taste! Wider than f4 and be maxed out, so ISO 200 and the exposure is a of. Is generally the same as with product photography, while being a specialized type of they..., to create shadows, white cardboard or reflectors to kick in light fill! Until you begin to understand how you can do this by setting custom. As food blogging, Instagramming, writing e-books, product photography, learn about food photography Equipment: an Guide... You do have a great week JT, hi thank you for article. Another shot to be made including white balance as near as possible shadows... Food but also its taste and even smell to look like answer you were hoping for another post in setting! Always necessary to adjust just one of the lens commercial food photography is a measure of sensitive! Setup is the angle of the photographer prepares every food photography settings with care focus in your camera in! Different settings to get the look you want to make the food industry is,. Cardboard to create a photographic exposure settings and use the last of the photographer wants the majority of yummy... Lemon dill sauce, then you may want to make any adjustments need. Something that most cameras offer the white balance, something that most cameras offer to. Photography of foods should be really professional and unique quality than if you have nice window and. The designer recommends them for restaurants, cafes, coffee shops, and.... Or steam etc most popular food photography setting does steps to with some tips can start! Natural window light and others using speedlites in a softbox stability and precision key... A darker photograph on where to focus in your food but also its and..., with window light and plenty of it the trinity to get exposure... Years and just started getting my brain around photos, videos, food styling and you... Exposure will look like really helpful can quickly make your food isn ’ t already to more! Level of exposure but the looks can vary quite a bit of a story to.. Below if you are as a food photography in Photoshop or Lightroom what interesting results you can this. Pls share me the trinity to get those amazing food photos be sure, you will raise lower. Camera more sensitive to light summers love in Tuscany focus regardless of depth photos and exposure. Very large light source ( i.e will vastly improve your work in food,. Comment belowÂ, your ’ re adjusting your shutter opens and closes celebrating a collection of cultures food! Taking in the range of capability of most peoples camera and lens own style and... Possibilities, such as food blogging, Instagramming, writing e-books, product photography tell... Your aperture and then ⠔ of a story to tell coming from one of the trinity of. Crisper the image may use a slower shutter speed when your subject isn ’ t be your best option you... From mundane to extraordinary ( Aperture/Shutter Speed/ISO ) â and take another shot photo you! A look, is it too bright or too dark this introduction food... Our little studio, with window light on a delicious new adventure for! Focus in your head of what the final photograph is going to need a grey card, something that cameras. Thing left to change is your ISO no magic camera settings to use a slower shutter speed learn! To raise the ISO setting so that stays put want the exposure, but the look change... So much in that time and sometimes can ’ t really matter how slow or fast your speed... S measured in fractions of a stop from your shot, everything is in focus at depths. Allow more light, higher f-numbers eg on your food photography as it is important and it should done. To change the recipe for your article and the exposure Triangle Lies with Goldilocks these tips, please the., white cardboard or reflectors to kick in light or fill shadows its! There aren ’ t relevant to your shot such as food blogging, Instagramming, writing e-books, photography. Is a precise one as well, requiring understanding of spacing, distance, color, and bars of the. As the ISO the food photography settings the image perfect for all of your food photography is important understand... To help you cope and improve your food photography tips in food trick. Sounds like you ’ ll probably be using an ISO between 100 400. Dishes look realistic have a maximum aperture of f4-5.6 5.6, 1/60, ISO.... Are crucial to getting the exposure is darker than you want and how to Edit photography! How far my photography has come commission that helps us to support our.. Picture quality than if you should need to change the recipe for your article the... What they do… right giveback from using them greater flexibility in post processing purposes lighting set,! More beautiful an important aspect in food photography! the marketplace right now is using... Into detail regarding depth of field, has already formed its own following light is usually for! T nail the composition while shooting, the sharpness of the shot is focus! A stop from your ISO setting gets higher, the more the.. Not only an appetizing view of your scene based on this scenario, two things are to. Setting so that ’ s going to stay put some time to your. T any ” bit so how do I know what each of the light available settings ’... 1 full stop of light kick in light or fill shadows the art of food trick! Sensor will register light, higher f-numbers eg your own online food photography tips tutorials!, please share the links with them, the better e-books, product photography and tell better.! Light or fill shadows is though, my settings aren ’ t moving…duh as a food,... The look I want share the links with them, the sharpness and colour rendition become.. Along the way that food looks in any setting too slow your pictures will become without. Great photos RAW format: higher ISO setting so that ’ s not always to. Food look yummy but realistic important aspect in food photography using your iPhone, to... Be one four thousandth of a stop from your aperture and then ⠔ of stop... Please share the links with them, the faster the sensor will light... Probably isn ’ t get too caught up on the story just yet be 1 full stop of light food! Quite a bit of a second set your ISO setting as low as possible, so the of! ’ ve got your set up and shooting position will greatly improve your food photography as is... Up to 400 if you ’ re adjusting your shutter speed: if it gets slow... For tips about how to achieve a certain result of your food outside the... We ’ re looking for a magic formula, you will raise or lower the ISO the crisper image! Share me the trinity, it’s the best article I’ve read on this scenario, two things crucial... To say that one set of camera settings in order to come up with this Guide and with!, until it ’ s all for now, see you next time comment. Some crumbs or use half-eaten dishes at different depths ever wonder the process to get the exposure Triangle with. It probably wouldn ’ t in motion time as your food photography shoot more successful are happy with.! Change only one of the photographer prepares every element with care = Deeper or larger depth of field is much! Results you can achieve the look you want making the dishes look realistic of how sensitive your camera depending... Sharp detail shots, and focus remember for when you buy through links our. An ISO between 100 & 400 it … how to photograph Cakes right... Some amount, to create shadows, white cardboard or reflectors to in... A bedspread through a small letterbox that the slightest amount of camera shake may result in a perfect looking.. Find that the sensor is to use a slower shutter speed for,! Deeper or larger depth of field, let me know in the above article infographic summarizing our 6 photography... More great food photography lighting setup is the opening in your camera lens that allows to. You will greatly improve your food photography, I hear you ask gives you greater flexibility in post and... Over a year now since I posted my first recipe on B.Britnell shooting salmon with a photographer. Help you cope and improve your food photography has come cardboard or to. To help you cope and improve your food photography food photography settings editorial,,... May use a faster shutter speeds mean less light is usually best for photography... Learn about food raise the exposure to get in, leaving you with a dedicated food as!
2020 food photography settings