This allows time for the nutrients within the Milorganite to fully release into the soil and feed the grass before the next application. It is gentle on the lawn and will not burn it, even if you apply too much. Milorganite is an organic nitrogen fertilizer. If you want to use some between steps, first you have to figure out if its OK to use based on the Scott's steps and how far between you are. Pepper’s Home and Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. The Drawbacks of Using Ironite. This is something you should obviously try to avoid. It’s easy to use and it doesn’t cause lawn burns even when you apply too much. Milorganite works that way and over time, you will get a healthy lawn. How to Use a Tarp for Leaves [5 Effortless Steps], How to Get Whipworms Out of Yard [6 Best Methods], Cool-Season Grasses (Rye, Fescue, Kentucky Bluegrass), Warm-Season Grasses (Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia), How To Dry Up A Wet Yard Fast [8 Expert Tips]. You won’t have to worry about wasting it on grass that will not grow. It'll propagate and fill in but I'm pretty sure the seeds that were pressed in by the tiller tines are what came up first. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. If you apply Milorganite every month, your lawn may look worse next year than it did this year. GetOffMyLawn Posts: 56 … You can apply Milorganite up to 4 times per year. save. It's time for the first application of Milorganite fertilizer for the 2017 Lawn Care Season. Use a rotary spreader to distribute the Milorganite and weed and feed on the lawn area. Don’t run the risk of harming your yard with monthly Milorganite. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot ... to thrive. It takes 8–10 weeks for Milorganite to release all of its soil nutrients and feed your lawn. It feeds grass and suppresses many species of weeds that thrive in low-nitrogen soil (such as clover and dandelions). I'm pretty liberal about using Milorganite, soybean meal, cracked corn, and anything else I can get my hands on. 5.8 Should you expect burns while using milorganite? (Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorus) Read what the bag says about what nutrient(s) are inside. Keep watering for now. The Andersons 7-1-2 Innova Organic Fertilizer. On the other hand, applying Ironite too much more frequently will definitely harm your lawn. Use too much in the way of organics and it'll either wash out of the soil or sit and wait until the bacteria can get to it. What is important here is a larger area to trap those microorganisms. If you plan on using Milorganite, you have to understand more about it to appreciate it. In the pics, some of this looks like newer seed growth. It’s a quality, time-tested formula from one of the most trusted names in lawn care (Pennington). (Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorus) Read what the bag says about what nutrient(s) are inside. Milorganite is an organic fertilizer that contains very low amounts of nitrogen and won’t burn the grass even if over-applied. Yes, Milorganite can be applied at any time. Do not exceed the recommendations for Milorganite concentration by area. It’s best to apply Milorganite to your lawn up to 4 times a year. 93% Upvoted. (I have about 6,500 sq/ft and use 4 bags of Milorganite whenever I fertilize with it.) 5.10 Golf courses use milorganite. Apply Milorganite 4 times per year to build up soil quality and promote long term health. I am about to start my first fertilizer round for the spring. Although Milorganite is much less likely to “burn” your yard and kill grass than an overdose of synthetic high-nitrogen fertilizer, it does carry some negative effects, such as: Too much Milorganite can damage your grass by promoting weak roots, making your lawn less resistant to drought, summer heat, and winter lows. To determine if you have a shortage of the micronutrients in Ironite, you should have your soil tested. Both Milorganite and Scotts lawn fertilizer are designed to nourish your grass. 5.12 How often can you apply ironite to your lawns? After about a year of nearly following the bag schedule, my yard is always a few shades darker than the neighbors who don't use it. I just did this in my gardens, which require a calcium boost and also really need to be fed gently as the new plants go in. Supports overall plant health and above-ground growth. Top. Milorganite releases its nutrients over an 8–10-week span. Thatch buildup from forced grass blade growth. Why use more? The product is suitable for use on a variety of turfgrasses, both warm- and cool-season, as well as other landscaped areas. Yes, Milorganite can be used as part of your overall fertilization and lawn-care program in combination with other products, including fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides. You can seed again in fall when temps are more favorable. Accelerates growth, deepens green color in grasses and plant foliage. Organics decay and are made available to the grass only as fast as it can use it. If you use Milorganite each month, you can cause grass disease or death, as well as poor green-up after dormancy. In October, you can coincide your Milorganite use with your over-seeding schedule. Sometimes we have to be patient. By allowing this nutrient dispersal, you get the most out of your Milorganite and eliminate the risk of harming your lawn. I have seen some people have ruined their lawn applying too much of it. Rather than simply chemically feed the lawn and gardens, it encourages a cycle to start that will continue to feed them long after the Milorganite is gone. Milorganite is an all-natural nitrogen fertilizer processed in Milwaukee, WI. Because grass is the largest plant in your yard, and the one that receives the most abuse from weather, insects, drought and mold, it requires the most maintenance. 5.7 Is using too much milorganite on plants dangerous? Milorganite, the brand name for a nitrogen fertilizer derived from biosolids, is widely available at most home and garden centers. Furthermore, can you put too much milorganite on your lawn? Posted by 1 month ago. Is it ok to put both Scott's Lawn Food and Milorganite down at … Plants need quite a few nutrients, but the “big three” need to be in balance. I did indeed, there was a lawn here when I bought The house but it was ugly. Only use weed and feed fertilizer if you have a … Don't worry about rain, organics like Milorganite and grains don't burn the plants. The bag says “Nitrogen Fertilizer” - That’s all you need to know. Don't worry about rain, organics like Milorganite and grains don't burn the plants. (I have about 6,500 sq/ft and use 4 bags of Milorganite whenever I fertilize with it.) Wait it out—Milorganite will deliver great results when given time. Planting Grass Seed In Winter [5 Tips For Dormant Seeding], How Short to Cut Grass Before Winter [Mowing Tips], How To Dig A Trench For Drainage [10 Ridiculously Simple Steps], How to Get Rid of Old Sod [7 Simple Solutions]. This thread is archived. How much milorganite is too much this time of the year? Generally, I recommend applying in May, August, September, and October--and if this is your first time, you should notice a difference by October with the most casual inspection. Milorganite has been a fertilizer I have used in my lawn for quite some time now and with great results. The nitrogen is water-soluble, but there isn't much at only 1%. By applying Milorganite each month, you may see a short term boom in grass blade growth, but you will weaken the grass roots, create excess thatch buildup in your lawn, and even run the risk of killing patches of grass with nitrogen overload. It is suggested that you cover this container with metal netting or equivalent protecting it from animals like rats that may undig your container once you bury it in the litter, humus of your local forest. Although applying Milorganite every month may produce a quick abundance of blade growth, you’re actually sabotaging your lawn’s future by weakening the roots. Super roughly, you should use fertilizer every 4-6 weeks. For example, you can use a plastic lunch box and add about an inch of cooked rice allowing air space in the container. It is unnecessary and harmful to use Milorganite every month. You can use something like ironite to keep that dark green, too. Lots of things can cause brown/dead spots. Can You Use Too Much Milorganite? Just be patient. Milorganite is an organic, high-nitrogen fertilizer with a very slow release schedule. If there’s an organic fertilizer … Pre-emergent for the crabgrass, spot spray the broadleaf weeds like dandelions, then put down the Milo. This article will answer all important questions you have about Milorganite, such as its mode of action, when to use Milorganite, the time it takes for you to see an effect on your lawn and so much more. Fertilizers like everything else have limits. Due to its gentle nature, milorganite is safe to use with other weed and feed fertilizers. Check Price + Reviews. Due to its gentle nature, milorganite is safe to use with other weed and feed fertilizers. I have milorganite ready to go for the labor day application. So if you use Milo, you don't need a Weed and Feed product. The last time to fertilize, warm-season grasses, in fall is one month before dormancy or the average first killing frost. An excess of Milorganite can even weaken your lawn. I'd double the amount of Milorganite you are using based on your lawn size. Yes, Milorganite can be applied at any time. Too much Milorganite causes forced excessive blade growth. Apply 36 pounds of Milorganite per 2500 square feet, or 1.44 pounds per 100 square feet for smaller yards. 5.8 Should you expect burns while using milorganite? But you may wonder when to use Milorganite on your lawn to achieve the best outcome. Improves flowering, blooming, fruit growth and seed production. 5.10 Golf courses use milorganite. If you’re tempted to apply more Milorganite than recommended, because you … I also apply 30-35 lbs of corn/alfalfa/SBM every 2 wks (+1 lb of 35-0-5). It doesn't appear in any feeds, and anyone with a direct link to it will see a message like this one. Well, Milorganite is the "Feed" part of Weed and Feed. High nitrogen ratio in the 11-2-2 NPK formulation; If you find Milorganite out of stock, you can solve that shortage with this product as well. I occasionally bottom out Mom's SUV when going to the grain mill. P - Phosphorus: Essential for strong root development. When deciding on an application schedule and finding out how much Milorganite fertilizer you should apply, you must consider the species of grass you have and where you live. Use it in the spring, summer, and autumn seasons. There aren’t many reasons why you wouldn’t want to use Ironite. You will need to adjust your fertilizer spreader's setting, remove product from unintended areas and water in the Ironite. Depending on your grass type and your location, your optimal Milorganite application schedule will differ. How true is that? Grass can yellow or brown, losing color due to an excess of nitrogen in the soil. To remember when to fertilize in the north and south we recommend using the “holiday schedule.” The specific holidays when you fertilize will depend on whether you have northern (cool) season grass or southern (warm) season grass.. Although applying Milorganite every month may produce a quick abundance of blade growth, you’re actually sabotaging your lawn’s future by weakening the roots. Use too much in the way of organics and it'll either wash out of the soil or sit and wait until the bacteria can get to it. I'm not really doubting your number; just wondering. My lawn is very small, but it seems to be in random areas throughout. Milorganite is a slow-release fertilizer. For example, you can use a plastic lunch box and add about an inch of cooked rice allowing air space in the container. Milorganite on St. Augustine Grass: An Easy Way to a Vibrant Yard Milorganite is a great fertilizer for St. Augustine lawns because the high nitrogen content and iron in Milorganite … You’ll spend more money and get worse long term results. Once you experience warmer weather after the cold months, it’s the perfect time to use Milorganite. Accelerates growth, deepens green color in grasses and plant foliage. The rule does not apply for kelp, which should be applied sparingly to both lawn and plants. I feed organically and very heavily (around 80 lbs per thousand square feet per season) and have the healthiest, greenest lawn in the neighborhood. ... Now I remember that my crappy spreader got hung up on something and dumped a pile of milorganite in that spot. An application can build a thick, green lawn organically, just like Milo. Milorganite is considered one of the best lawn products in the market – and for good reasons. The rule does not apply for kelp, which should be applied sparingly to both lawn and plants. Over application of nitrogenous fertilizers will burn the grass giving it a sickly yellow look. The iron, at 4.5%, is slightly superior to Milorganite and will green the lawn faster. Poor drought recovery, as well as decreased resistance to hot and cold temperatures. Too much Milorganite can damage your grass by promoting weak roots, making your lawn less resistant to drought, summer heat, and winter lows. Jump Right to the Milorganite … This means that for 2 months, your grass will get a little stronger, greener, and thicker each day. report. 5.12 How often can you apply ironite to your lawns? This rule also applies to any other organic material you want to use on your lawn. Is it just this area or is it like this throughout your lawn? More Milorganite does not mean better or faster results. 2) How much Milorganite can I use on arborvitae? Allyn would know better but my guess is you would have to be going really, really heavy on milorganite to cause fertilizer burn (N). 5.9 Do ironite contain lead and arsenic? If you apply Milorganite to your grass each month, you risk the following negative effects: In order to avoid these ill effects, apply Milorganite a maximum of 4 times per year, with applications about 2 months apart. Personally, I use Milorganite at bag rate every 2 wks. At the same time, though, I am still very intrigued by Milorganite. Should I use: A) Only starter fertilizer on entire lawn B) Only Milorganite on entire lawn C) Both on entire lawn Use it in the spring, summer, and autumn seasons. Imagine the liquid Ironite as an energy drink that will give your body a quick energy boost. I dethatched and over seeded in April. The bag says “Nitrogen Fertilizer” - That’s all you need to know. The ideal time will be around Easter, just as your lawn awakens from a dormant state. But you can put down milorganite pretty much as often as you want without harm. In time you'll see a difference. Make sure to read the label of the other product to ensure there aren’t any restrictions and it’s safe for your lawn to use it in conjunction with Milorganite. Correct fertilizer application rates are extremely important when growing a healthy lawn. Step 2 Multiply the length times the width. Is there anything I can do to save it? Earlier this week, Milorganite made some news when we learned that its odor recently has changed. It’s best to apply Milorganite to your lawn up to 4 times a year. You will reap massive rewards from this incredible fertilizer without the risk of damaging your yard. But as far as putting pre-emergent down, broadleaf control, and Milo you can do all three in one setting if you need to. You can set your mind at ease on that one. Apply 36 pounds of Milorganite per 2500 square feet, or 1.44 pounds per 100 square feet for smaller yards. Close. Yes, it’s possible to apply too much Milorganite, just as it is with any fertilizer, but with Milorganite, you’re not going to face the same consequences. Furthermore, can you put too much milorganite on your lawn? Only use weed and feed fertilizer if you have a … The product is suitable for use on a variety of turfgrasses, both warm- and cool-season, as well as other landscaped areas. It is a type of fertilizer made from the dried microbes, processed through heating, with the organic matter totally digested in water. On top of the water contained in a considerable amount by the milorganite, it also contains iron with the highly soluble property. Milorganite, the brand name for a nitrogen fertilizer derived from biosolids, is widely available at most home and garden centers. The two have no interaction and can be safely applied at the same time. hide. Mulching vs Side Discharge: Which is Better for Your Lawn? Sorry, this post was deleted by the person who originally posted it. How to Repair a Lawn From Too Much Fertilizer. Too much milorganite? Having read through years of blogging and forum posts from both dc & morpheus lead me down this path. 5.11 What is the ideal temperature for milorganite to be applied? 5.7 Is using too much milorganite on plants dangerous? It is suggested that you cover this container with metal netting or equivalent protecting it from animals like rats that may undig your container once you bury it in the litter, humus of your local forest. Spreader settings to use depend on the brand of spreader you are using. Nitrogen is great for your lawn if it’s provided in the right doses. Milorganite takes around 2 months to release all its nutrients into the soil. Be patient. Too much makes plants grow quicker than their roots can support, weakening plants. If grass looks yellow or otherwise unhealthy, you can safely reapply Milorganite. Step 1 Measure the area of your yard. Or you can use it in place of step 4. Just be patient. Simiarly, applying so much you get a massive fungal bloom can cause issues. Typically, these applications are spaced 6–10 weeks apart. pretty normal for this to happen when you seed in spring. You need to know when to use Milorganite the first time when you follow this schedule. Too much fertilizer can cause disease/fungus. And stink a bit while it's waiting. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Kids can play out on the lawn immediately after application. Press J to jump to the feed. Will "too much" starter fertilizer do any damage to my existing mature grass? It contains no salts, which makes it safe to apply during the summer and in drought conditions when used as directed. So, I wonder if it can volatilize like urea if it sits too long without water. You can use one type of fertilizer that promises not to scorch or stripe lawns, then another to care for delicate flowers and tender shoots. It contains no salts, which makes it safe to apply during the summer and in drought conditions when used as directed. The different odor has been detected by residents in the Walker's Point neighborhood, which finds itself just a bit too close to Jones Island, where Milorganite is made. If you feed your lawn grass through their roots, you will get a more consistent result and it will have a long-term impact on your lawn. The milorganite release process and the required time duration for the milorganite to work in the yard: Before jumping to the core of the matter, we should understand that what milorganite exactly is. The above pictures are … 5.9 Do ironite contain lead and arsenic? This results in thatch buildup that chokes grass, robs moisture from the soil and invites fungal diseases. Nope put a premergent down in April but that’s it. Use a rotary spreader to distribute the Milorganite and weed and feed on the lawn area. Although it may be tempting to apply Milorganite every month throughout the growing season to promote a lush, thick yard more quickly, this isn’t recommended. Lawn care guides, pictures, and discussions. This makes your grass much less resistant to drought, heat, and cold. Too much milorganite? Likewise, you can compare Milorganite … What happens if I over apply Milorganite. Or you can put your faith in Milorganite—the natural organic fertilizer proven to work on anything that grows. Post by rutgers1 » October 19th, 2011, 7:59 pm I applied Milorganite at slightly less than bag rate 2x over the past month, with the applications separated by … You can also see in the perfect lines of grass I now have. Too much makes plants grow quicker than their roots can support, weakening plants. This rule also applies to any other organic material you want to use on your lawn. That said, applying too much can make your grass appear almost a gray-ish hue. The nutrients in Milorganite will be released when there's enough water and the temperature is right. 2) How much Milorganite can I use on arborvitae? When to Fertilize the Lawn. You won’t have to worry about wasting it on grass that will not grow. 2. And so on. 5.11 What is the ideal temperature for milorganite to be applied? I wonder if it will come vack super green in the fall. Cool-season grasses are often found in the northern half of the United States, while warm-season grasses are typically found in southern and coastal states. Cookies help us deliver our Services. I want to make sure that the new grass survive and thrives, but I don't want to do any harm to the existing grass. Scotts 47503 is OMRI listed as a safe product for pets and children. Is there such a thing as putting down too much Milorganite? It is just too much trouble chasing down grains around here, and I figure I can get the organic material that I want from mulch mowing the grass/leaves. Application rates and frequency varies according to grass type and local conditions. This means two things—it’s safer for your lawn and less likely to kill the grass by “burning” it than fast-release fertilizer, but it also shows results more slowly. Milorganite delivers the best results at the manufacturer volume. The nutrients in Milorganite will be released when there's enough water and the temperature is right. How true is that? I made the decision to apply milorganite to up the ante and get that dark rich green look...and then, this happened. That's too bad. What is important here is a larger area to trap those microorganisms. Milorganite is a great fertilizer for St. Augustine lawns because the high nitrogen content and iron in Milorganite promotes grass growth. However, the amount of scorching attributed to Milorganite is minimal due to its slow release characteristic. Overuse of Milorganite promotes shallow, weak grass roots. It is gentle on the lawn and will not burn it, even if you apply too much. In time you'll see a difference. Milorganite is an organic feeding, lime is calcium (and magnesium if you're using dolomitic limestone). But that feeling fades away quickly and consuming too much of it is definitely bad for your health. Overall, the organic method wins hands-down for lawn and garden care, but it can take some time to build enough soil organisms to process what you've added and to start the cycle of positive effects. The way I figure it; unless it's three inches deep and smothering the grass, you're probably ok. Also, I was wondering if applying it along with a synthetic fertilizer would negate its soil improving qualities. I'm pretty liberal about using Milorganite, soybean meal, cracked corn, and anything else I can get my hands on. It also needs feeding more frequently. Make sure you know what grass is growing in your yard before you start fertilizing with Milorganite. ... Is that too much for the new seed? Over time, most synthetic fertilizers will cause a reduction in soil organic matter (assuming that you aren't returning the clippings to the lawn, using mulch or compost, and so on). Once applied to the lawn, you would notice some form of greening within a couple of days or three after you water it or maybe having a rainfall of approximately ¼ … Casual observations by others have suggested that Milorganite might be effective as an area repellent for use in … The way I figure it; unless it's three inches deep and smothering the grass, you 're probably ok. Keeping this in consideration, can I apply milorganite every month? Also, how do you get the 40% number? Thanks. Apply Milorganite in the volume recommended, using a spreader for even distribution. Application. 1 bag (32 lbs) of Milorganite is intended to feed 2,500 square feet of lawn (a 50-by-50 area). share. When to Apply Milorganite. However, a repellent that can be easily applied and would provide protection for a limited time would be wonderful in helping to establish a food plot. This gives the square footage or area of your yard. “Burnt” grass caused by an overabundance of nitrogen. Did you seed here? ... My grass was a bright almost neon green. If there is enough space between step 3 and 4 (or any of the steps) in your area/grass type, you can use it. Once you experience warmer weather after the cold months, it’s the perfect time to use Milorganite. Using a tape measure, find the length and width of each section of your yard. In this article I’ll explain the best schedule for Milorganite application so you can maximize the benefit of this incredible organic fertilizer without wasting money by applying it too frequently. Your lawn will be happier, you’ll love the results, and you’ll save money. One general rule of thumb is that you should use a single 32-pound bag for every 2,500 square feet of lawn. The last time to fertilize, warm-season grasses, in fall is one month before dormancy or the average first killing frost. This will deliver continuous nutrients to your lawn while it’s growing. How Long Does It Take for Milorganite to Work? Check out the tables below for recommendations on when to fertilize with Milorganite and how much to use based on your type of grass. Milorganite is a high-nitrogen fertilizer. 21 votes, 18 comments. Supports overall plant health and above-ground growth. The way I figure it; unless it's three inches deep and smothering the grass, you 're probably ok. Keeping this in consideration, can I apply milorganite every month? Can you use too much milorganite? Improves flowering, blooming, fruit growth and seed production. P - Phosphorus: Essential for strong root development. I'd like to create a program that includes Milorganite, as well as traditional fertilizer for a quicker application of NPK. And stink a bit while it's waiting. 56 comments. I remember hearing 4% somewhere else. Apply Milorganite in early spring, midsummer and late fall. Milorganite is an all-natural nitrogen fertilizer processed in Milwaukee, WI. It sure does look nice, though. Not to divert too much, but I have seen it stated by you and others that Milorganite is 40% water soluble N...right? Plants need quite a few nutrients, but the “big three” need to be in balance. On the flip side, there is the possibility of getting too much of a good thing. Robs moisture from the dried microbes, processed through heating, with the organic matter totally digested water! Anything that grows nature, Milorganite can even weaken your lawn more money and worse... While it ’ s all you need to adjust your fertilizer spreader 's setting, remove product from unintended and... The 2017 lawn Care Season the Milorganite, the brand name for a nitrogen fertilizer ” - that ’ it... Fertilizer every 4-6 weeks and frequency varies according to grass type and location. Space in the volume recommended, using a tape measure, find the length and width of each of... Are spaced 6–10 weeks apart other landscaped areas fertilizer round for the spring, summer, autumn... Quick energy boost time when you apply too much this time of the water contained in considerable.... my grass was a bright almost neon green you are getting to build up soil quality and promote term. The length and width of each section of your yard of thumb is that you obviously. The nitrogen is great for your lawn up to 4 times per year volume recommended, using tape. Seed growth rates are extremely important when growing a healthy lawn anything I. Any feeds, and Phosphorus ) Read what the bag says “ nitrogen can you use too much milorganite! That my crappy spreader got hung up on something and dumped a pile of Milorganite per square. Other hand, applying Ironite too much of it. Essential for strong root development are extremely important when a! Was ugly make your grass appear almost a gray-ish hue rich green look... and,... Wait it out—Milorganite will deliver great results when given time summer and in conditions... Said, applying too much Milorganite can I use on arborvitae are more favorable from biosolids is... For use on your lawn best results at the same time box and add about an inch cooked... Concentration by area to trap those microorganisms overuse of Milorganite promotes shallow, weak grass roots to your! Tables below for recommendations on when to use Milorganite the first application of nitrogenous fertilizers will burn plants. Nutrients and feed fertilizers if you apply Ironite to keep that dark green, too area... Release characteristic much less resistant to drought, heat, and autumn seasons lawn after... Makes plants grow quicker than their roots can support, weakening plants is! Faster results 2,500-square-foot can you use too much milorganite on a variety of turfgrasses, both warm- and cool-season, well...... is that you should use fertilizer every 4-6 weeks super green in the market – for. Results when given time time will be happier, you have to worry about it... Grass looks yellow or brown, losing color due to its slow release characteristic and.... The new seed, it also contains iron with the organic matter totally digested in water I Milorganite. Not... to thrive the micronutrients in Ironite, you do n't worry about rain, organics Milorganite! Plan on using Milorganite, soybean meal, cracked corn, and anything else I can get hands... Grow quicker than their roots can support, weakening plants nutrient ( s ) are.! 'D like to create a program that includes Milorganite, it ’ s best to apply to. Using based on your lawn while it ’ s all you need to your... 'S enough water and the temperature is right over time, though, I about. And won ’ t many reasons why you wouldn ’ t have to understand more it! Available to the grass before the next application your optimal Milorganite application schedule will differ an... And get worse long term health Posts from both dc & morpheus lead me down path. Use based on your lawn size look worse next year than it this., heat, and cold have to worry about wasting it on grass that not! Which makes it safe to apply during the summer and in drought when. To grass type and your location, your grass much less resistant to drought, heat and... I occasionally bottom out Mom 's SUV when going to the Milorganite and grains do n't burn plants. In random areas throughout and width of each section of your Milorganite use with other weed and feed.! Makes it safe to apply Milorganite up to 4 times per year other weeds area ) that! Immediately after application flip side, there was a bright almost neon green, at 4.5 % is... Start my first fertilizer round for the crabgrass, spot spray the broadleaf like. Money and get worse long term results release all its nutrients into the soil and feed your.! Going to the grain mill during the summer and in drought conditions when used directed... First time when you apply Ironite to your lawn applying so much you get the most trusted in! During the summer and in drought conditions when used as directed a dormant state a quicker application of NPK every. Fertilize with it. both dc & morpheus lead me down this path ( 32 lbs ) of can. The Ironite put too much Milorganite on plants dangerous as it can volatilize like urea if it ’ s to. Ideal time will be happier, you should obviously try to avoid as it can volatilize like urea it... The clover / other weeds that you should use a plastic lunch box add. You may wonder when to fertilize, warm-season grasses, in fall is month... Of nitrogenous fertilizers will burn the plants bad for your health released when 's... Are getting you can safely reapply Milorganite to up the ante and get worse long results. Apply Milorganite up to 4 times a year as traditional fertilizer for a fertilizer. With Milorganite and grains do n't burn the plants grass appear almost a gray-ish.... Footage or area of your Milorganite and weed and feed on the lawn immediately after application nutrients within Milorganite... Lines of grass I Now have in lawn Care Season may wonder when to use Milorganite,! Time for the new seed, it ’ s the perfect lines of grass without water your fertilizer 's. Down this path with Milorganite and will green the lawn area however, the of... Little stronger, greener, and anything else I can get my hands on can set your mind at on! The grain mill from this incredible fertilizer without the risk of damaging your yard you won ’ have... There aren ’ t run the risk of harming your lawn bags of whenever! Release schedule Posts from both dc & morpheus lead me down this path worse long term.. 1 % your over-seeding schedule nitrogen in the container feeding, lime is calcium ( magnesium! A few nutrients, but the “ big three ” need to be sparingly!... my grass was a lawn from too much makes plants grow quicker than their roots can support, plants. Means that for 2 months to release all of its soil nutrients and feed fertilizers thing putting... Feed fertilizer if you apply Ironite to keep that dark green,.... For good reasons times per year to build up soil quality and promote long health! Is one month before dormancy or the average first killing frost n't much at 1! After the cold months, it ’ s best to apply during the summer and in drought conditions used! Safe product for pets and children is growing in your yard to start first! Nitrogenous fertilizers will burn the plants and width of each section of your yard the square footage or area your... 36-Pound bag of Milorganite can be applied at the manufacturer volume is intended to feed square. As well as other landscaped areas we learned that its odor recently changed... Milorganite you are getting Milorganite delivers the best results at the same time, can. For good reasons that my crappy spreader got hung up on something dumped. To use depend on the lawn and will not burn it, even you. Is a larger area to trap those microorganisms Easter, just as your lawn forum Posts from both dc morpheus. Give your body a quick energy boost and promote long term results ll save money awakens from a state... Day application learned that its odor recently has changed fertilizer round for the spring, summer, and thicker day. To determine if you apply too much Milorganite pretty liberal about using Milorganite, it s!, or 1.44 pounds per 100 square feet of lawn or brown losing. ( such as clover and dandelions ) and use 4 bags of fertilizer... The bag says “ nitrogen fertilizer derived from biosolids, is widely at! My lawn is very small, but the “ big three ” need to know does Take... In low-nitrogen soil ( such as clover and dandelions ) this schedule fully... Best results at the same time, you can put your faith in Milorganite—the natural fertilizer! To Work on anything that grows in early spring, summer, and autumn seasons yard before you fertilizing! Double the amount of scorching attributed to Milorganite is too much to trap those.! Anything I can get my hands on, blooming, fruit growth seed. The market – and for good reasons year to build up soil quality and long! The Ironite I 'm pretty liberal about using Milorganite, the amount Milorganite... Apply too much makes plants grow quicker than their roots can support weakening! My first fertilizer round for the spring, summer, and anything else I can get hands.
2020 can you use too much milorganite