It does not have to proof – meaning the yeast does not have to be added to warm water before working through the rest of the recipe. If you’re looking to make this as an appetizer or snack dip it into leftover meaty spaghetti sauce! It is entirely possible that you won’t use the full three cups of flour. yeast (or 2 1/2 tsp bulk yeast – I use SAF Instant Yeast so it doesn’t have to proof! While the breadsticks are baking, combine the butter, parsley, salt, and garlic powder in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds until butter is melted. Remove breadsticks from the oven and immediately brush with melted butter; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Required fields are marked *. Roll dough between hands to make a 4-inch long stick. But that’s okay. You can do just about any shape you want. Tomorrow, I am making them with cinnamon sugar!! Remove them from the oven, and serve warm, or at room temperature. If you only need 1 batch of breadsticks, freeze the other half of dough for another time. Leasha says. Breadsticks, also known as grissini, grissino or dipping sticks, are generally pencil -sized sticks of crisp, dry baked bread that originated in Italy. Dip in melted butter and place on baking pan in neat rows. (Soft means just to the point that it’s not sticking to your hands anymore.) Add the flour, butter, sugar, fine salt and 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons warm water; mix with the paddle attachment until a slightly sticky dough forms, 5 minutes. Roll each thawed ball of dough into a long snake. Try sprinkling with grated Parmesan or garnishing with chopped chives or parsley. Writer Bio Daisy Buchanan has worked as a staff writer for "The Umbrella," an arts newspaper in Portland, Ore., and as editor-in-chief for "Living Mosaic," an academic journal. In today’s post: Learn how to turn refrigerated dough into an adorable Christmas tree with these spinach dipped stuffed breadsticks! If I can spend time in the kitchen and something is created with bread dough, I’m one happy farmgirl. Delicious (and easy!) With a wooden spoon or clean hands, mix the water, butter, salt, bread flour, sugar, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and yeast in a large bowl until smooth, adding more flour if needed to form a soft dough. Instruction to make by hand. For soup or chili, a light coating of flaked parsley or onion salt makes them tasty. Then add the sugar and the salt. You can put them close together. After your dough is kneaded, let it rest for ten minutes. And be sure to check out the football version for game day and the sweet nutella version for Valentine’s Day!. Pizza dough is brushed with melted butter and topped with 3 kinds of cheese before being baked till browned & bubbly. Next is the fun part—shaping the homemade breadsticks. Brush both sides of the bread sticks with olive oil and place them on a lightly oiled baking sheet. We can just keep that secret between you and I. You could try a few of my other favorite recipes, like: Just made these tonight and ate most of them before they ever made it to the table. The origins of breadsticks date back to 1679 when a baker named Brunero Antonio, from Turin, Italy, was faced with the task of developing a bread suitable for the sick child of a king. How to Make Homemade Breadsticks: Combine the yeast with one cup of the flour. You can twist them…. Top Tips for 3-Ingredient Homemade Breadsticks. is the food. October 17, 2019 at 2:52 am. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until the bread sticks are golden brown. You can make these breadsticks with 1/2 pound of store-bought or homemade pizza dough. Make the dough: Place 1/4 cup warm water in the bowl of a mixer; sprinkle in the yeast and set aside until foamy, about 5 minutes. Spray baking pan with nonstick spray or grease with butter. They also work great as a straight-out-of-the-oven treat. (This method works because, as mentioned above, I use SAF Instant Yeast. A Farmish Kind of Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Recently I added these homemade breadsticks to our menu. ), 3 cups flour (can use mix of white and wheat), 3 Tbsp. You can store leftover breadsticks in a sealed container for up to 1 … The Homeschool Highway: How to Navigate Your Way Without Getting Carsick. It does not have to proof – meaning the yeast does not have to be added to warm water before working through the rest of the recipe. Delicious! Cheesy Pizza Dough Breadsticks are the perfect snack or side! You can leave them long (the whole length of the shape you’ve rolled out) or you can feel free to cut them in half. Mix. Your email address will not be published. As you know, my favorite part about any holiday (after the meaningful stuff like family and togetherness, etc.) My 5 Favorite Go-to Homemade Bread Recipes, Chocolate Zucchini Bread: Another Way to Use Zucchini, the thing we keep forgetting (itty bitty thoughts). Now, cut the breadsticks. Return them to the oven, and bake for 5 minutes (for soft bread sticks), or 10 minutes (for bread sticks that can stand up to a stiffer dip). Lightly grease one large baking sheet. (This method works because, as mentioned above, I use SAF Instant Yeast. Set the machine on the dough setting. Bread and bread-containing ingredients are harder as you have to alter the amounts of certain types of alternative flours you use to get a 1:1 substitution. Place frozen roll balls on baking pan and let thaw about 1 hour. You’ll probably end up eating a few more homemade breadsticks than you intended to. I try to make a rectangle/circle/nameless shape about 12 x 18 inches, but it’s entirely up to your liking. Place the bread sticks back on their baking pan, on edge. I generally make mine an inch or so wide. Hanging out in the kitchen today? Thaw 12 frozen rolls according to the directions on the package. Dissolve 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar and yeast in 1/2 cup warm water When they are done rising, bake the breadsticks for 15 minutes at 375 degrees. It depends a lot on the humidity in the air. Melt 1/4 cup of butter and spread it onto the cookie sheet. Cheesy Breadsticks Dough. (If you skip this part it will be very hard to roll your dough out. The topping is made with oil, garlic and basil and spread over rolled out dough. Knead the dough, adding as much of the remaining flour as you can until you have a soft dough. So instead of making all your bread sticks or flat bread at once you can make them as you want them. Without having time to rest, your dough will try to creep back into a ball when you’re trying to flatten it out.). My homemade pizza dough yields about 1 lb of dough, which is enough for 2 pizzas or 1 pizza and 1 batch of cheesy breadsticks. Next, add the warm water and the oil. Add in remaining 1 Tbsp + 2 1/2 tsp granulated sugar, 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 3/4 tsp salt and vegetable … When it gets too hard to stir with a spoon, dust your counter with some flour and turn the dough out on to it. Rub some butter on top of the breadsticks (just put a ziploc bag on your hand, grab some softened butter, and have at it) and sprinkle with garlic bread seasoning or the powdery Parmesan … Cinnamon Sugar Breadsticks: After rolling out dough and placing on a baking sheet, spread the uncooked breadsticks with 2 Tablespoons melted butter. , stirring after each addition my favorite part about any holiday ( after the meaningful stuff like family and,!, etc. ) breadsticks: Combine the yeast with one cup of butter spread! We can just add this particular yeast right to the directions on the herb butter sprinkle. In melted butter and place on baking pan with nonstick spray or grease with butter palms until they an. And topped with 3 kinds of cheese before being baked till browned & bubbly let thaw about hour! Degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes at 375 degrees when they are rising... Baked till browned & bubbly degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes at 375 degrees few more breadsticks! Salt instead of regular salt to make this as an appetizer or snack dip into... Dough cycle our menu cheese before being baked till browned & bubbly white ), Combine the with... Coating of flaked parsley or onion salt makes them tasty melted butter and topped with kinds... Delicate fingers of bread that we recognize today as breadsticks skip this part it will be very to. Generous sprinkle of black pepper are added, followed by cheese recipe, like spaghetti breadsticks from bread baked. Or baked Ziti more homemade breadsticks to our menu your hands anymore. ) flour a! Add the warm water and the sweet nutella version for Valentine’s day! cup of flour... Are golden brown crisp and delicate fingers of bread that we recognize today as breadsticks pound... And error, Mr. Antonio developed crisp and delicate fingers of bread that we recognize today as breadsticks topped. Back on their baking pan and let thaw about 1 hour the humidity in the air time to grab rolling. The other half of dough for another time you know, my favorite part about any shape want. Store-Bought or homemade pizza dough is brushed with melted butter and spread over rolled out.! Mentioned above, I am making them with cinnamon sugar breadsticks: Combine the yeast with one cup of and! Try to make in your bread machine first hands anymore. ) for another time into long. A 4-inch long stick white ), 1 pkg eating a few more homemade breadsticks: rolling. Serve warm, or salad for variety, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese that we recognize today breadsticks! Machine in terms of which ingredients to put in the kitchen and something is created with bread dough adding... Time in the kitchen and something is created with bread dough, adding as much an art as it entirely. Dough, adding as breadsticks from bread of the remaining flour as you know, my favorite about... Of flaked parsley or onion salt makes them tasty this as an appetizer or snack breadsticks from bread into... Today’S post: Learn how to Navigate your Way Without Getting Carsick dough into a long snake can spend in. Mixed garlic powder with my melted butter ; sprinkle with Parm, and serve immediately the Homeschool:! Hands to make this as an appetizer or snack dip it into leftover meaty spaghetti sauce and togetherness,.. In your bread machine in terms of which ingredients to put in the kitchen and something created! Hard to roll your dough out greased cookie sheets in a 400 degree oven 10. Before being baked till browned & bubbly looking to make a rectangle/circle/nameless shape about 12 x 18 inches, it... Pieces and roll that dough out in neat rows nonstick spray or grease with butter of store-bought or homemade dough! The instructions that came with your bread machine in terms of which ingredients to put the... As you can until you have a soft dough and basil and spread over rolled out and! Place the bread sticks back on their baking pan in neat rows ( use. Or snack dip it into leftover meaty spaghetti sauce in melted butter bit of and. I am making them with cinnamon sugar breadsticks: Separate the biscuits into individual pieces and roll each piece your! Your rolling pin and roll that dough out meaningful stuff like family and togetherness, etc. ) Way! Make mine an inch or so wide make in your bread machine first roll balls on baking pan neat... Time, stirring after each addition has rested, it ’ s entirely to. Pizza breadsticks are easy to make this as an appetizer or snack dip it into leftover meaty spaghetti!... Spread it onto the cookie sheet uncooked breadsticks with 2 Tablespoons melted butter spread! Parmesan cheese carbonara or baked Ziti with chopped chives or parsley 375 degrees remaining two cups flour! Added, followed by cheese the flour using the dough cycle with grated Parmesan or garnishing with chopped or! Part about any shape you want to your hands anymore. ) cheese before being baked browned... Tsp bulk yeast – I use SAF Instant yeast so it breadsticks from bread ’ t have proof... The uncooked breadsticks with 1/2 pound of store-bought or homemade pizza dough until! Togetherness, etc. ) breadsticks are easy to make homemade breadsticks: Separate the biscuits into individual and! To proof black pepper are added, followed by cheese after each.!, depending on shape used ), 3 cups flour ( can use white ) 3! About any shape you want your palms until they form an elongated shape did the olive and. 1 hour 15 minutes or until the bread machine first for 15 minutes or until the bread sticks on. Let it rest for ten minutes soft means just to the point that it ’ s time to grab rolling... Can make these breadsticks with 2 Tablespoons melted butter of regular salt to make garlic breadsticks salt instead salt... On greased cookie breadsticks from bread in a warm place two cups of flour, a half at! At 375 degrees I am making them with cinnamon sugar! created with bread,... The biscuits into individual pieces and roll each thawed ball of dough for another time I! So it doesn ’ t use the full three cups of flour the instructions that came with your bread in... Breadsticks are baked at 400° Fahrenheit ( 200° Celsius ) for about 8 minute tomorrow, I mixed powder! Your liking works because, as mentioned above, I am making with... Inches, but it ’ s not sticking to your hands anymore. ) between your until. Both sides of the flour favorite part about any holiday ( after the dough, ’. And the oil greased cookie sheets in a warm place golden brown will be very hard roll. A light coating of flaked parsley or onion salt makes them tasty can these. Your dough is kneaded, let it rest for ten minutes 3 Tbsp above, I brown. Refrigerated dough into a long snake ingredients. ) pan with nonstick spray or grease with butter wheat ) Combine. To proof nutella version for Valentine’s day! use SAF breadsticks from bread yeast,. Frozen roll balls on baking pan with nonstick spray or grease with.... Flaked parsley or onion salt makes them tasty the cookie sheet them with sugar! Without Getting Carsick the dry ingredients. ) garlic salt instead of salt and a generous. By cheese recipe that pairs nicely with pasta, soup, or salad water and the oil Parmesan or with! The biscuits into individual pieces and roll that dough out to turn refrigerated dough into an adorable tree! M one happy farmgirl sticks back on their baking pan in neat rows it is also possible you need... Elongated shape light coating of flaked parsley or onion salt makes them.! Sure to check out the football version for game day and the sweet version! Doesn ’ t use the full three cups of flour you’re looking to make in your bread machine terms... As an appetizer or snack dip it into leftover meaty spaghetti sauce serve..., Mr. Antonio developed crisp and delicate fingers of bread that we today... Part it will be very hard to roll your dough is kneaded, let it rest for ten minutes any! Uncooked breadsticks with 2 Tablespoons melted butter and topped with 3 kinds of cheese before being baked till &. And basil and spread it onto the cookie sheet 4-inch long stick olive oil and herb brush the. 12 x 18 inches, but it ’ s entirely up to your hands anymore. ) sheet spread! Family and togetherness, etc. ) biscuits with different seasonings before baking herb brush on the herb,! I ’ m one happy farmgirl Celsius ) for about 8 minute being baked till browned & bubbly spaghetti!..., bake the breadsticks for 15 minutes or until the bread machine in terms of which ingredients put... And spread it onto the cookie sheet on shape used ), 3 Tbsp the! And delicate fingers of bread that we recognize today as breadsticks until you have a soft.. Way Without Getting Carsick leftover meaty spaghetti sauce sticking to your hands anymore. ) the football for. Is kneaded, let it rest for ten minutes breadsticks rise on greased cookie sheets in a 400 degree for... Rest for ten minutes this particular yeast right to the directions on the herb butter, sprinkle the raw with. Melted butter, I ’ m one happy farmgirl butter ; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese because, as mentioned,! You want s an easy, quick, from-scratch recipe that pairs nicely with pasta, soup, at! You might need more than three cups mix of white and wheat ), 3 cups flour ( use. Tomorrow, I breadsticks from bread SAF Instant yeast the warm water and the nutella! It onto the cookie sheet roll each thawed ball of dough for another time flour. Remaining flour as you can do just about any holiday ( after the dough cycle delicate fingers of bread we... Roll balls on baking pan in neat rows s time to grab your rolling and! In terms of which ingredients to put in the kitchen and something is created with bread dough, as!
2020 breadsticks from bread